Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Perki

Any one got any experience with any Cornus Kousa? I been looking at the chinensis for a few months but I didnt realize they is quite a few variety's. Miss Satomi  looks really nice but expensive. All of them seem quite pricey are they worth it? How quick do they grow as well.

Hostafan1

I've never had one in my own gardens, but have looked after them gardens of clients. 

IMHO , they take a while to " settle in " but thereafter grow away well.

Gardenmaiden

I have one in a raised bed for about 8 years. It does take a while for it to settle in. I had the first 'flowers' last year.

I bought the one that I could afford at the time, which was about the size of most dogwoods. There's nothing worse than buying a big plant only to have it die. I prefer to buy a plant that will grow to fill the space.

fidgetbones

Two angles of my Cornus Kousa chinensis. I bought it as a metre high bush of about four branches, 25 years ago.

It doesn't seem to grow much in height any more,(about 5m tall and 4m across) but it took about 15 years to get to this size. Apart from cutting off the odd dead branch, I do nothing to it.

It flowers every year, sometimes it has fruit/seedpods on it. It has good autumn colour.

In a smaller garden, and for better colour, I would go for Miss Satomi. I do like the pink flowers instead of the white. I seem to have a lot of white at that time of year.

Perki

Its gorgeous fridget. I am not very patient on these matters of settling in. I will have a think about it or of something else.

Advertisement

fidgetbones

When I planted the border, I alternated an expensive small slow growing tree, like the Magnolias and the Cornus, with cheap fillers like buddleia and Lavatera Barnsley, which fill the gap quickly, but don't last long. As the slow growing ones mature, the cheap fillers got taken out. I find I can propagate  Buddleia and lavatera easily from cuttings cadged off friends and neighbours.

Perki

It is really nice, but I dont own my home so spending £30 to £50 on a plant I might never see flowering would be a shame 

I just looking for a small ish tree to add a bit of structure to the garden. The Cornus caught my eye with it having flowers and autumn interest. 

fidgetbones

You could plant it in a large pot and sink it in the ground, then take it with you.

fidgetbones

I think I might try a few hardwood cuttings off it. Cornus sanguinea seems to strike easily for me, it must be worth a go.

Perki

Might as well have a go fridget, there no harm in trying 

I wanted to grow a cornus about 12ft tall, I would need a really big pot for that.

I am having a looking a tamarix ramosisimia pink cascade at the moment  

fidgetbones

That would be pretty exotic looking. I know what you mean about moving. The owner of the wood next door where all my wildlife lives, is 96. When he dies, it is designated as building land,and most of the trees will be cleared. At that point, I will lose all my privacy, and am going to move. I am already startjng to think about propagating certain plants in readiness for moving.