Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cosmos xanthos

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

anyone grown cosmos xanthos this year?

not really into many annuals but cosmos,,eap the white ones, is a regular feature here.  Tried Xanthos and liked the pale yellow colour but it disappointed over the summer.  Went over earlier than other cosmos and not so floriferous for me.image

not sure this is worth a place in my garden next year. How do you rate it? 

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Wouldn't be without some annuals; Opium poppies [ particularly the v. dark purple ], California poppies, Nigella, corn flowers, Cosmos [ but not xanthos ], to name a few.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • I grew Xanthos this year as well and have been delighted with it Verdun. Lots of lovely flowers, it was the 1st of my Cosmos to flower but it has gone over while Sensation and others that I can't remember the names of, are all still growing well.

I will grow it again next year and perhaps sow some later to take over when the 1st lot go over.... we'll see, often I run out of space to start the seedlings off, despite having a gh and perspex roof on my yard and now access to the poly tunnel at the allotment. 

• I grew Xanthos too this year and I liked it's pale lemony colour. It flowered well throughout the summer but went over a fortnight ago when other varieties I grew are still flowering. Will grow it next year simply for its colour and do the same as ladygardener2 plant it in stages.