Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Could I propagate a Rosemary?

DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

Does anyone know whether it is possible to propagate from a Rosemary cutting? I nearly always have to replace my Rosemary each year and thought I might give it a go to get a cutting to grow in a pot which I can keep frost free. Any advice welcome !

• Margaret7Margaret7 Posts: 26

I think a heel cutting would be best - If you have I player then you could watch the Tatton Park show - the second one - and Carol Klein does a heel ccutting on a salvia, but it is the same.

However, Rosemary is usually a hardy perennial, it like good drainage and not to much water.

Hope that helps a littlre

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I have done many Rosemary cuttings and they do well in dry area or in pots.Of late i have had to do them pots to bring in the shed when the weather is cold.I also grew a Rosemary hedge for my son from cuttings from the rosemary bush I had planted in his garden.I just took a heel and stuck it in the ground.Its now a hedge.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I cut some rosemary about 6 weeks ago to use for cooking and didn't use it all so stuck the bit that was left back in the little pot of water it had been in and forgot all about it till I put some sweet peas in the pot recently -  it  had loads of roots and I potted it up yesterday!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

Thanks all for your replies. I shall certainly have a go now. image

• Sage and lavender seem to work in the same way. For the first time I moved my potted rosemary into the greenhouse to overwinter but the weather was so cold and it has survived perfectly. Everything in the ground took its chances, but a newish rosemary I planted last year survived, and yet an old established plant which I inherited when I moved in has died. My neighbour told me she also lost hers this winter, so I guess it's always a good move to take cuttings just in case. If you don't need them, you can always give them away as presents!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Verdun wrote (see)

But you did wave your wand Fairygirl...

Actually Verd- no one was more surprised than me when you consider it's preferred growing conditions!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657
    Hi Day Daisy,were moving soon so i took 15 cuttings about 4 inches long 3 weeks ago ,stripped them back 1 inch,into a jam jar and water ,now all have lots of 1 inch of roots ready for planting in our new house, just so easy avavgo

Good luck Alan4711