London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
8 messages
20/01/2014 at 21:52
We have some daffodil bulbs that we have got in memory of our friend who passed away recently, we would like to plant them in the garden but aren't sure when to plant them out, should we wait until next autumn to plant them Or can I plant them out now. Really don't want to kill them.
20/01/2014 at 21:56

Sorry to hear of your loss armaghgirl.

personally, I'd plant them ASAP, as I always find it difficult to store bulbs for longer periods, they all go mouldy! i expect the cultivar or species may have an impact on how hardy they are, d'you know the name. The other guys on here will give you best advice though.

20/01/2014 at 22:46

Ryan is right - plant immediately.  Even though it's very late, they won't survive if kept dry until autumn.  If you plant them now the likelihood is that some will flower this year but rather late and the rest will just develop leaves this year but will flower normally from next year onwards.

20/01/2014 at 22:48

I agree with Ryan, plant them ASAP, they'll have made shoots in the bag and died by next autumn. 

21/01/2014 at 06:22
Thanks for your replies, they are in a pot already and I gave a couple of flowers on them, would planting them out not be a bit of a shock to them?
21/01/2014 at 08:46

Ah.

I think we all assumed they were not planted. But they are planted in a pot. Is that right?

If they've been in a pot outside you can transplant them into the ground. If they've been indoors they might struggle a bit. I doubt if they'd die but it might spoil the flowers

21/01/2014 at 09:07
Sorry for the confusion, yes in a pot. I might wait until the flowers have gone and then plant out.
Thank you so much for your help.
21/01/2014 at 09:28
armaghgirl wrote (see)
Sorry for the confusion, yes in a pot. I might wait until the flowers have gone and then plant out.
Thank you so much for your help.

That sounds a good plan 

email image
8 messages