London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
6 messages
28/04/2013 at 12:13

My late mother used to tie the daffodil stems at the end of Spring.

I now have control of the garden and want to replicate her wonderful work.

1). Why tie the daffodil stems?

2). How to tie the daffodil stems? Any articles you can point me too? there are lots of daffodils out there

28/04/2013 at 12:20

Noooo!!!!!!-do not do this-it seems that is what all gardeners did in the past before they knew better

The leaves feed the bulb for next years flowers- tying them stops the natural process-let them go scruffy and die back naturally-it will be worth it.

They need 6/8 weeks at least for you can remove the leaves-when they have gone brown

28/04/2013 at 12:21

People used to tie up stems and leaves to make the plant look tidier while dying down. Daffodil leaves must be left to die down for at least 6 weeks after flowereing as they put nourishment back into the bulbs. A sprinkle of fertiliser would help at this stage too. But thinking has changed now and daffodils prefer not to be tied.

28/04/2013 at 12:27

Execllent (my first post). Is it seditious to consider digging up the daffodils and relocating them to a place in the garden where they many all wilt in peace... or as you said, just leave them......

28/04/2013 at 12:30

You can move them to a less prominent place, but they multipy best if left where they are.

There's nothing to stop you planting within a few inches of them with hardier summer bedding plants, though - they'll take attention away from the dying leaves.

28/04/2013 at 17:48

I must be very oldfashioned because I tie mine together loosly in bunches each year and they flower every year without problems, I even tie smaller bunches in a knot without problems. Just don't tie them so tight that they can't "breathe". Thinking may have changed, but not necessarily always for the better (sorry, Liz). I wonder if those thinkers asked the daffs what they thought?

email image
6 messages