Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dead seedlings

CLERCLER Posts: 56
Why have my seedlings perished ??? Could it be due to the peat free compost I have used?

• Unlikely-more like the conditions in which they were keptimage

What were they ?

Where were they?

Could it have been the watering?

All gone-the whole lot??

• CLERCLER Posts: 56
    i have one left . They were cornflowers and cosmos and I had tried so hard .....sad
  • But you haven't said where you kept themimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

We're a bit short of detail here. 

I use peat free, seedlings don't die of that.

Growing in warmth then putting somewhere cold,or too much/too little water, that will kill them

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

As will Damping off disease.

• hi cler

i had problems with seedlings dieing off, they were in my heated greenhouse  and i found it was the compost that was the problem it was  ok on the top but when you checked below the compost it was all dried out, and the compost was from dobbies garden centre and it was 3 x 60lt for £12  dobbies mult-purpose  i now use mother earth multi-purpose compost from local nursery it is 3 x 70lt for £15  image

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

I have used peat free compost for several years now, and the only thing that I would say is that you have to be very careful about watering, it does not quite soak as the old composts did - but with care it works perfectly well, unless you get a batch that is contaminated with bad rubbish.  We have found wire, bits of rubber, brick bits and all sorts in it, so it does need sieving for seeds and baby plants.  I mix it with a good loam compost for special seeds or young plants, when it is fine.