Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dementia Sensory Garden

Hi All

Help needed.  Can I start by saying I'm not much of a gardener....

I've been designing a charity sensory dementia garden, but I'm now getting stuck on the planting element.  On Friday I'm building a raised sleeper bed approx dimensions are 3.6m x .08m and want to plant Lavender, Rosemary, Sage etc but unsure how I should arrange to get the best layout visually.  The bed is against a fence so there will only by access from one side.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Steve

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

A scented rose - you can get some lovely small ones. My mum had dementia, but she still loved her flowers, even if she couldn't remember their names and she used to sit out in the little courtyard garden at the care home enjoying the sun and the hanging baskets. Dianthus perhaps for the edges (scented and evergrey ones) and thymes and pansies or violas with 'faces' and some tactile things. Lambs' ears are lovely to stroke, but will get too large too fast, so something like the grass Bunny Tails would be nice, though sadly it's an annual - I haven't grown  myself so don't know if it will seed itself, but pony tail grass certainly will and will hang over the edge so it can be combed.

• Pansyface has the right Idea.by having annuals planted it will give the garden a continued green look all year round

Enjoy

Jolly G

• You can get all year round interest without going to the trouble of annuals.

• We have annuals doted around the garden, however it's in particular for the this scented raised bed

Would I alternate clumps of 3 Lavender, rosemary, sage, mint etc

Thanks