21 to 28 of 28 messages
27/05/2014 at 09:30

If you leave it in the pot the roots will expand and force the crack open further and further.

It would be good if you can get some help to extract the fatsia from the pot, give the roots several good soakings first to make the root ball a bit pliable.  If it's so potbound that it's cracked the pot it's likely to be quite rigid.  

I would then prune the root ball and pot up again using as much fresh compost as you can get into it - but I would pot into a plastic pot that will fit inside your decorative one.  

You can then use some epoxy resin (from a hardware or DIY shop) to repair your ceramic pot, and when it's dry put the plastic pot and fatsia back inside it.

Then you and a helper can lift it out each year and repot with fresh compost, pruning the roots each time to keep it fitting inside the pot. 

That's what I would do - hope that's helpful.  

27/05/2014 at 09:39

I really appreciate that advice thank you so much.will do it have to be on my "tod" tho' will have to see just how much I can do. will have a try today as it is will moist with all the rain..................will just have to be a case of pulling more that anything as you can't get anything down the sides at all...............can only do my best will keep you posted how I do...........and many thanks again.......wouldn't have thought of the pot in a pot...............doooooohhhh...............you know what they say about blondes.!!!!!!!!!!!!

27/05/2014 at 11:13

LOL   I seem to have quite good ideas since I stopped being blonde and 'embraced the silver' or is it just that people take me more seriously? 

Good luck!

27/05/2014 at 12:26

not at the silver stage yet but will embrace also when I get there...............just had a right dilemma outside ready to get started on the said fatsia and my Daughter brought round the 6month old long haired Chi wa wa and if he didn't step on a wasp what an horrific yelp couldn't stop him so good old mother has to take to vets as Daughter at work......................and so it goes on and on.............back home now and hopefully will make a start on this plant now...............

27/05/2014 at 16:02

I'd soak it REALLY well and leave it overnight before you tackle getting it out of the pot. That will make it more pliable to work with and less likely damage the pot. Though in my experience once a pot is cracked and open to the British weather - frost, snow, ice, rain, heat - even epoxy resin will just delay the inevitable. I just use a hammer

27/05/2014 at 16:20

The alternative is to let it get really dry (not likely this year so far). The compost shrinks and it comes out easily. Might not be too good for the plant though, I haven't tried it with fatsia

27/05/2014 at 16:29

I do that with Phormiums nut. Much easier. Not sure about doing it with a Fatsia but if it gets well drenched after going back in the pot it would probably survive. 

07/09/2014 at 13:00

Quercus_rubur. How did your twisted hazel go? I have one that's taking over. Any advice??

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages