Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Does anyone know what this plant is?

MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

This plant is rapidly taking over, growing in the borders, cracks in paving and pots.  Does anyone know what it is?  I wondered if it was a form of campanula.  It climbs and trails.  The photo makes the flowers look blue but they are more purple.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Muddy, Looks a lot like Vinca Major or periwinkle a vigorous sub shrub the five petals and glossy leaves remind me of it but then I could be wrong.

Frank.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

http://www.english-country-garden.com/flowers/trailing-bellflower.htm

It's a trailing campanula, we've got it growing everywhere we let it.  If you pull it out it'll reappear next year.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

Thanks for your responses.  Having followed the link my flowers are more a purple colour but I do think it's very likely to be a campanula.  I shall apply my usual containment methods.  It's a shame it's got into the block paving as this is a real pain to keep looking tidy.

• JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN Posts: 256

It's a Campanula Portenshlagina- I had the same problem- you have to dig out ALL the roots that go quite deep or it will just grow back again and smother everything. Make sure you get every last bit !!

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I am plagued with this campanula. Unfortunately, digging out the roots isn't an option for me as they are in dry stone Walls. And flowerbeds. And cobbles. When it's finished flowering I yank it all out ( so I can see the walls!). I am thinking of glyphosating it, has anybody tried it?
  • JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN Posts: 256

Haven't tried the glyphosate on it so let me know if you have any luck with that. It spread all over my rockery and I had to basically take the whole thing apart and tediously pull each piece of root out, put the whole thing back together again and replant with new plants! I wish I had not planted it in the first place ! Ahh well- we live and learn !

• Glyphosate will work!

I'll give it a go then! Have you tried it Joe?
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

Flamethrower might be my solution then.  Thanks for everyone's help

Tried the flamethrower- doesn't get the roots.