Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Don't be tempted......

Don't ever buy or accept as a gift even, lysimachia Firecracker, just had almost a full day digging it up, as I do every year about this time. It runs everywhere, comes up in the middle of other perennials, in the roses, clematis, horrible stuff.

Also, arum italicum, fortunately that is Summer dormant but just now it is back in several new places, I thought I had dug it all up last year, and the year before.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think Firecracker has finally gone from here.It came in with something else. It doesn't grow well here but was spreading and, at the same time, looking mildewed and sick

I'm OK with the arumimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 617

Yay I like Arums too! Not many comments I've read on here seem to favour them...I  like them. I even have some in pots at the end of garden image

is that bad? image I love that they bring the pots to life thru the winter when nothing else is growing. Forget me nots also then have self seeded in there too and add a lovely splash of colour. Then the stalks come up like soldiers with big red hats in summer and I sit and watch the birds come for the red seeds. Perfect I think. and then it all happens again nect year without me doing a single thing! 

Hope you can see them in the pots. image

Yay I like Arums too! Not many comments I've read on here seem to favour them...I  like them. I even have some in pots at the end of garden image

is that bad? image I love that they bring the pots to life thru the winter when nothing else is growing. Forget me nots also then have self seeded in there too and add a lovely splash of colour. Then the stalks come up like soldiers with big red hats in summer and I sit and watch the birds come for the red seeds. Perfect I think. and then it all happens again nect year without me doing a single thing! 

Oops did those messages wrong way round. obviously didn't post the written one properly image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I dislike all euphorbias including poinsettias and sincerely trust I will find none springing up here but there are arum italicum plants all over the place and some will have to go.

We've cleared and re-planted one main bed here and there are all sorts of very thin, spindly bulb leaves coming up.  Heaven knows what they'll turn out to be but some "weeds" OH was worried about are growing up to be lovely hardy cyclamen.  Today I discovered more "weeds" which are celandine so will need cleaning out before it becomes invasive.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

Can you tell me about the invasive oxalis Verdun? I would buy that but thought it was tender??

• TigrahTigrah Posts: 125

I planted some bare root Chinese lantern/physalis on the front along with some Echinacea last autumn. I have since read to keep them in pots as they spread like mint. I'm thinking of pulling then all up but I really can't see where they are until they start growing in the summer. Does anybody else have experience of these? I'm not even sure if I like them now! They came in a T&M pack with some other things I wanted, haha.

Where I live I have some form of wild geranium (I've been told) that spreads everywhere. Haven't loved here long enough to see anything larger than seedlings though.