Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Drat........

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

Most everything is now growing fast and looking better every day....as with everyone else.....but I  am going to have a big  "spoil" this summer.   A Carpentaria Californica is looking decidedly sparse of foliage.  Growing against a wall it has been a lovely sight in June and July but the winter wet has affected it. Hardly a leaf but I cut branches back fairly hard and new growth has started.   But it looks "woody" image

However, I have now decided it has to go.  I want something quick for,this summer and considered a red leaved canna, (I have a few in large pots growing away), a buddleia Davidii and climbers.  I have a pittosporum Garnettii 6' tall to one side and a 10' tall conically shaped on the other side......not the most imaginative planting I have but it creates a cosy background.  I have clematis ville de Lyon backing the pittosporum.

Any other options out there?  Quick, colourful and compatible?  image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

What about a  Perovskia atriplicifolia Blue Spire?  It would look great next to the pittosporum and also look great in front of a wall image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Would a Ligularia grow there Verd - or is it not moist enough?

The canna would be very smart I think.

A Phormium for foliage contrast?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...