Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Early plants appearing?

I have noticed Anemone leaves coming through and Grape Hyacinth foliage. Also, my Tete-a-Tete, in a pot, are also in leaf.  What's going on - surely this isn't normal?  I live in the Deep South (Bournemouth/Poole) and the Summer has been very hot and dry. My soil is sandy and it's been a nightmare keeping up with watering. We have had recent, regular rainfall so things are looking happier generally - apart from terrible black spot on the roses and caterpillar infestation - especially on the Pelargoniums.

Last edited: 29 September 2016 12:09:30

• Plants can be fooled by unusual weather into growing and flowering at the wrong time, but they won't come to any harm, and there isn't anything you can do about it, so don't worry!

• I usually find grape hyacinth leaves appearing in the autumn - they seem to flower in the spring perfectly normally.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks folks!  image

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

OO I will have to go andinspect mine now...

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431

I live in the Bournemouth/Poole area too .... there are two flowers in full bloom on the rhododendron and the bellis I sowed for next Spring are filling posy bowls at the moment. (do hope they'll flower next Spring too).

•  . . . and my Camellia is in bud! 

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

My grape hyacinths are showing themselves too which is handy because I'm moving stuff about.  My camellia also has buds.