London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
18 messages
08/08/2013 at 14:06

Can someone spare a few moments to advise, in their experience,  the easiest evergreen plants/shrubs to grow and perennial plants?  I have 2 pyracanthas in pots I am looking after for her (given as a gift) and guess they will need to be planted in a sunny spot??  Do they need to be supported? 

Also need to fill a border approx 8ft x 2ft.  Prefereably hardy plants that require very little maintenance at all!!   No height restriction.  My neighbour is not a keen gardener plus has little time to spend in the garden.  

I have a few ideas but my knowledge is limited.  Would welcome advise from experienced gardeners.  Maybe a bit of a tough ask as maybe quite a few plants to choose from but any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you very much.

08/08/2013 at 14:45

Hi blackcap. Pyracanthas like a bit of sun but they will also take shade. I had one in a shady little corner at a previous house, facing north east and it was perfectly happy. They're best grown as hedging or against walls and fences so if you can give them that type of location it would be better. They don't need support as such though. As you've not mentioned aspect or soil type for your border, I'll suggest a couple of things that survive well almost anywhere -Berberis and Euonymous. There are various Berberis varieties -the green ones are  evergreen and prickly and have yellow or orangey flowers in spring with berries later (similar to the Pyracanthas) The purple ones are deciduous but same flowers etc. You can clip them to size if you want- some get big as they're often used for hedging.  Euonymous are mainly grown for foliage- small variegated green/gold or green/cream foliage, and will grow as a  'bush' or, if put against a wall or fence, will act like a little climber. Both are easy to acquire and grow, and trouble free normally. 

08/08/2013 at 15:56

Not exactly evergreen but ever interesting.  cornus alba sibirica variegata

Beautiful red stems in winter,  crisp white and green variegated leaves the rest of the time. Dainty white flowers followed by white berries. Maintenance....once a year in March/April cut it to the ground.....thats it  

08/08/2013 at 22:34

Thanks very much Fairygirl and Addict.  Gosh, you are both so knowledgeable.  Like the sound of those plants. Will get down to the garden centre.

08/08/2013 at 22:39

If there's a shady patch, Mahonia aquifolium is reliable, and has lovely yellow sweet smelling flowers in the winter - something that usually impresses non-gardeners http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1232

08/08/2013 at 23:56

Consider the hollies.....golden king is superb.  Yellow and green evergreen foliage with red berries.  Natural comical shape can be easily controlled by once a year trim. check out the hollies.there are other varieties too...because they are attractive all year round

If I contradict Fairygirl she will get me but pyracantha is a vicious plant which is very vigorous once established.  Have removed this from my garden.  Must be pruned religiously every year and at correct time.  Not worth it.

Easiest small evergreens must include choisya sundance.....lovely yellow shrub with highly scented spring flowers, sarcoccoca is an evergreen easy shrub that pulses wonderful scent all over the garden in late winter, and euonymous microphylla aurea which is a mound of tiny evergreen green and yellow leaves.  If your soil is acidic then grow pieris flaming silver.  Green and white leaves in winter are followed by bright red new leaves in spring plus white flowers

09/08/2013 at 18:22

09/08/2013 at 18:28

Oops something happened there. 

Aah but Verdun- you didn't read the post properly- blackcap already has the two pyracanthas and was asking where to put them- and having read your reply I think I know your answer! I was merely answering the question you cheeky monkey 

And are your hollies always funny?

Verdun wrote (see)

Consider the hollies.....golden king is superb.  Yellow and green evergreen foliage with red berries.  Natural comical shape can be easily controlled by once a year trim. 

09/08/2013 at 19:19

Got me fairy.   

I did read the posts.  It's just that pyracantha is so vicious.

Funny hollies?    Ho, ho, ho.  Ill....excuse that .........?

09/08/2013 at 20:17

Verd - I like the idea of comical hollies  

09/08/2013 at 22:09

There are loads of perennial geraniums that are very easy. Just cut them down when they've flowered and they will either flower again or if autumn is near they will pop up again next spring. Most aren't evergreen though but I thought you meant evergreen for shrubs. Lavender is pretty easy if it's sunny.

I agree with Verdun about pyracanthas. Nasty prickly things. Even though the birds do like them.

02/10/2013 at 20:43

Hi Blackcap...you are probably sorted at this stage...but the thing that shines in my dark corner is my acuba japonica or cheese plant....requires no effort at all! Very old hat  (and even a bit cheesey!)I know but its lovely and shiney and green...also, have you thought about ferns...Monty was plantin them in a shady spot recently and they are lovely in the wind!

02/10/2013 at 20:49

I'll agree with Ivy, ferns are no trouble, what about Mexican Orange Blossom (Choisya ternata) Aztec Pearl is less fussy than the golden varieties.  Physocarpus - Ninebark, comes in burgundy, pale green/yellow.  Cotinus is another easy one as well.

02/10/2013 at 20:52

I can't edit or quote my comment, sorry - just read that you were after evergreens.  Mexican Orange Blossom is evergreen and has lovely white fragrant flowers during early summer.

02/10/2013 at 22:37

Hardy fuchsia, there are so many to choose from and so colourful.  Astilbes for a shady area or foxgloves, Philadelphia s, hydranga,  Japanese anemone or use obelix and have climbers hope this helps

03/10/2013 at 00:03

I don't like  pyracanthas either,  we inherited one when we moved to this house, it was climbing up the wall by the front door. Very large thorns, soon got rid of that. Like the idea of comical holly tho

03/10/2013 at 07:42

if you want perenials too, there are Epimediums, Euphorbia and Geranium Maccrorhizzum.

03/10/2013 at 11:54

Hi Blackcap...was walking the dog this am when I saw an acuba japonica in my neighbours garden and realized what I meant to recommend to you was actually FATSIA JAPONICA   and not acuba japonica !!( which I also have and love - it tollerates partial shade and is fab in the winter with its bright leaves and berries)  I'm not sure where you are gardening, but Fatsia Japonica is frost hardy but may need a bit of protection from strong wind....there is also a lovely variegated version.....sorry for getting my japonicas mixed up!

email image
18 messages