London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
4 messages
14/02/2013 at 22:09

I recently bought one of these having admired the plant in a catalogue - the flowers looked really handsome. Apparently it is a Himalayan shrub resists frost well but not if it gets damp, and I am protecting it with genorous layers of hoticultural fleece. Please let me know the area where you garden if you decide to reply. 

15/02/2013 at 12:24

I looked at the book, not too hardy. Looked at the price, praps not

19/02/2013 at 09:32

We grow this beautiful shrub.It is one of my favourites.

It has survived the past few years of cold winters with frost and snow unprotected in South Wales.

The flowers are just starting to open now 18th February.

It needs moist well drained humous rich loamy soil, in full sun or dappled shade.

The new growth  always  grows with 3 new shoots with the flowers on the end of the branches.

The branches are amazingly flexible. Should you wish they could be tied in a knot. No idea why you would want to do this!

In Japan the bark is made into high quality paper.

I have seen a limited edition book of Botanical drawings printed on paper made from Edgeworthia chrysantha.

21/12/2013 at 22:56

Thanks to all who replied. I checked the shrub recently growing in a large pot in the front garden and it has formed buds and seems to be surviving O.K. I felt that the better drainage in the container would be helpful since the soil here is heavy clay. When I decide where to plant it next year I shall add some sand and grit to the planting hole. By then I hope it will thrive alright in the open ground.

I had heard about Edgworthia being used in paper manufacture but it will be a while before that becomes a viable option without damaging the plant irreparably. Flexible branches might be useful for basket work - I have experimented with this using other materals.      

email image
4 messages