London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
8 messages
05/09/2013 at 20:22

I bought the 'Eleador' variety of this plant hoping that I would get those lovely fragrant tiny flowers on it. But it is now 5 years old and I've have not had one flower yet. My neighbour has a large 20year old bush of the same variety and hers is covered with flowers each year. Am I doing something wrong ?

05/09/2013 at 20:31

Is that one of the variegated E. ebbingeiis? I don't get as many flowers from  my variegated version as I do the species. Don't know which one mine is though. bought cheap as label lost

05/09/2013 at 20:36

I have one in my garden about sixt feet high and in the 10 years I've been here it has never flowered. I didn't know it could. Saying that I have a variegated pittosporum that flowers and I didn't know they did flower.

05/09/2013 at 20:43

they're worth waiting for. and at an unlikely time of year 

05/09/2013 at 21:18

I bought an eleagnus from one of the cheapo DIY places, remembering what a great shrub we'd had in a previous garden. It was one of those pots with Dutch instructions translated into wobbly English. Only when I was planting it did I see on the label the words "This plant does not produce flowers". Well, why would you buy one then? I still have it - it plugs a hole in the hedge - and it is living up to the claims on its label so far.

05/09/2013 at 22:09

Oh maybe I'll never get flowers then. The only thing I can do is go to a nursery and buy one whilst it is flowering, then I'll know I've got the right one won't I?

05/09/2013 at 22:13

one site I just looked at lists all those variegated E. ebbingeii as non-flowering.. The non-variegated species E. ebingeii can be relied on to flower.

06/09/2013 at 12:37

That's strange, as one of the reasons I bought it was that next doors variegated one smelt so gorgeous. I think I'll ask her if I can take some cuttings.

Thanks for all the replies folks!

email image
8 messages