London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
14 messages
09/06/2013 at 16:35

Please could you suggest plants that could match the thread title that I can plant to grow up against the wall of the house, that (that,  at the moment at least) gets a lot of sun?

I did consider hydrangea but have now read on here that the flowers do not last that long in the sun...

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Labradouble.

09/06/2013 at 16:43

Trachelospermum Jasminoides, or star jasmin, little white flowers, very scented.

09/06/2013 at 16:47

http://www.crocus.co.uk/images/products2/PL/00/00/00/17/PL0000001728_card2_lg.jpg

09/06/2013 at 16:51

Thank you very much.. Yours looks incredible,, Is it planted in the ground or in a container?

09/06/2013 at 17:44

Sorry, it's not mine, I used Google to give you an idea. Mine isn't flowering yet, it's in a large pot as the terrace is mostly paved. I've seen it planted in the earth growing very well up a house, it would probably prefer to be planted in the ground.

09/06/2013 at 19:14

Thanks again..

10/06/2013 at 11:47

We have a jasmine like that but it's very slow-growing. Ours is also plagued by aphids and sooty mould, but you might be luckier in that respect.

Hydrangea Seamanii is a vigorous climbing variety of hydreangea that seems to do well in sun. It's evergreen, too.

Pyrocanthus can look good trained against a wall, especially when the berries turn red or orange.

10/06/2013 at 20:53

Big question: do you mean just things that will climb the wall themselves like hydrangea, Virginia creeper and ivy or things that will climb it if you add wires or trellises like jasminum, wisteria, lonicera and akebia?

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/climbers/plcid.15/vid.4/vid.0/Evergreen full sun climbers, according to crocus. http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/climbers/plcid.15/vid.0/vid.67/Semi-evergreen full sun climbers

That Sollya looks nice but doesn't like temperatures to drop below 5'C. Heh. We get -10 here. Likewise, Cobaea looks and sounds great until they say "usually grown as annuals in the UK" and mark it as "tender" ... meaning it won't survive the first winter.

Passion flower and Chilean potato tree look good as long as it doesn't get too cold where you are.

I'm reluctant to recommend anything that self-clings, because it comes with the need to spend a day or several days, depending on the size of your wall, on a ladder ripping the stuff off the wall and cutting it back to clear of the windows and a foot below the barge boards or gables every year. Ivy actually protects walls from the elements, but you probably don't want it in the attic.

I'd also warn you that Akebia is an explorer. One of mine has put out three feet of new growth since spring got here (late) and the green stems have been curling and uncurling, feeling around like snakes in slow motion, trying to find things to climb. You might want to keep trellises well clear of windows if you choose one of those.

11/06/2013 at 10:07

There are a couple of evergreen honey suckles that are an option. I got one for my pergoda, slowish grower, only put about 1ft on last year. Seems to have started to grow with much more vigour this year though.. I think the type i got was "Darts World"

11/06/2013 at 20:29

I had the same issue after re-doing the patio area. I wanted a fairly quick growing plant that would grow however on a shady border! I decided on the pyracanthafirethorn  it will grow in sunny spots and the birds love the berry's. I used to have on the south facing wall a gorgeous passionflower which used to fruit and the bee's loved it. I'm thinking of buying another as my honey suckle finds it too hot on this site.

13/06/2013 at 20:33

Thank you to you all for your suggestions, - the hydrangea or pyracantha seem to be the plants that could do the trick...I will let update you on the results.

Thanks again.

13/06/2013 at 21:19

watch the pyracantha when pruning, particularly heavy duty gloves will be required, also, if you dump the trimmings you'll be pleased to know even when dead they actually get more lethal! It hasn't put me off though, I'm going to be growing a hedge of the stuff, the flowers and fruit are something else, well worth a bit of extra caution.

14/06/2013 at 17:15

Someone's pyracantha by the footpath has just come into flower, and Ben's right. It's beautiful! There are little white flowers in huge numbers on every branch, of which there are many because I keep stealth-pruning the thing to keep it out of people's faces. I expect a huge crop of yellow berries later, after which I shall have to prune it again because it's vigorous.

16/06/2013 at 16:07

Thank very much all for the suggestions --- I'll be back in touch when I buy some for some more tips !! (if you dont mind)

email image
14 messages