Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fatsia japonica

Hi

I brought a fatsia japonica a few weeks ago. It was doing really well until last week when the leaves dropped and whats left don't look great. I remember the label saying to use a ericacious based mulch. im wondering if it would be better treated as a ericacious plant??? Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Alistair

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

My Fatsia japonica needed pruning back a couple of weeks ago due to its hugeness and a little die-back from the winter months that usually happens.

It does tend to natrually shed leaves at this time of year as well and new growth unfurls from central buds.

I garden on sandy, neutral soil and have never given it any special treatment apart from the odd spring feed, although I did find it difficult to place when I first bought it and it looked very sorry for itself for a couple of years. Eventually it found a cosy spot in a north facing corner with shelter from winds for the most part, which must have helped because its now 8' 8' if I let it. image

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

It doesn't ned ericaceous compost, no.

What it does need is to be reasonably dry and not in much direct sunshine, or it'll go yellow. Is yours in a soggy spot, perhaps?

As already said, shelter from strong winds is also important.

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Mine is a a rescue from the GC at least 15 years ago and is huge and happy, I've never done anything to it. My soil is slightly alkaline loam with a gritty layer about 2 ft down. It's on the shady side of the garden where it gets a little sun and is nicely sheltered by surrounding shrubs and trees. I'm in East Dorset so relatively mild. Clearly it was beginner's luck that shone down on me the day I brought the sad little half-price pot home image

• Oh wow, Alina W has just described my plant to a T. Mine is also a rescue plant from a GC the other week. I have definately been over watering and it is in direct sun. Yellow as a banana with a proper droop going on. 

At least it stands a chance now.  Thanks 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Missy I have a VERY mature one, about 17 years old, and small self set in a pot, I didn't know they self set but there it was in a bed nearby so must be the birds. As stated they aren't acid lovers. The large one has yellowing of older leaves that it will shed, new growth is dark green but will fade as it get's a small amount of sun in afternoons. It lived in a pot for 7 years and then I tried a couple of places in the garden until it seemed happy where it now is.

Sure yours will recover, when it gets older keep yours eyes open for black berries that form, quite unusual on stalks, but the birds soon have them. Enjoy.

• Zara2302Zara2302 Posts: 1

Hi guys, 

im very new to gardening, in fact it took me weeks just to find out what the plant in my garden was. 

I have a Fatsia japonica in my garden a very large one at around 10ft with berries. 

I would like to dig it out of the ground pond pot it in a huge pot. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this? What minimum pot size and material of pot will be suitable? And soil etc it will need? 

Any help would be great as I really don't want to kill it in the process. 

Thanks

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

It would have to be a very, very big pot, and heavy or it'll blow / topple over. Wherever you put it you'll need lots of space to get around it. Going to take some watering.

I wouldn't do it. Doubt it will do it any good at all.

If it needs to go I'd just remove it and start again. You might find some off shoots at the base, this does occasionally happen.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

No chance

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'd suggest you get the biggest pot you can and get as much rootball when you dig it out. Don't think you'd need anything specific in terms of compost as you'll see from the previous posts here. Mine grows in fairly neutral soil. Rich, damp but well drained, and some shade are the main requirements and I'd prune it back as it won't be able to support the amount of foliage it currently has if it's going into a pot. Just take branches back to the main stem - like you would when you take older ones off - and keep a nice shape. If you do it in late summer you could always use the prunings for cuttings and get a few more plants. A bit of tlc and a feed and hopefully it'll be ok! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BenjBenj Posts: 1

Up until the phenomenal amount of rainfall we had over the winter my Fatsia was growing beautifully.  However, I guess because they like dry conditions and my Fatsia is now sat in quite a wet bit of earth the leaves have pretty much all drooped down and it looks in a bit of a sorry state, although the leaves are still their original colour, just very, very droopy.

Please tell me it will recover and the leaves will perk up.  Should I do anything to try to help it?