London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
4 messages
22/04/2014 at 11:57

My bulbs are flowering beautifully in their pots.  Should I be feeding them at all to ensure that they come back next year or do I leave it to Mother Nature.  I am unsure about tulips in particular because I have often read or heard people say that it is not worth trying to get more than one year out of tulips which has always seemed an awful waste to me.  Is it possible by feeding and looking after them properly through the winter to get them to flower next year?  Any advice would be gratefully received.

22/04/2014 at 12:54

Hi Teenrbee, I grow lots of bulbs in pots so I can move them around, mainly small flowered daffodils and Tulips. I feed them about once a week with a normal dilution of Tomato fertiliser ie high Potash., they are of course watered normally in between times. Keep feeding until the foliage dies back. Normally this is the end of May early June for me, Tulips are earlier. Daffodils I take out of the pots tidy them up ie take off roots and dead leaves, wrap pop into paper bags and keep cool. I have left tulips in pots and they have flowered again. However I find it better to take out of pots then discard any tiny bulbs and store like daffs. I don't buy expensive tulip bulbs Aldi/ Lidl do for me and  usually get at least a second season from the. A trick is to make sure you plant them deeply.They get put in the borders at some point if I have space. waste not want not, my motto.

22/04/2014 at 22:32

IMHO.  Totally a matter of personal choice.  The most important part/time in a bulbs life is.  The dying back.  Whether your bulbs are in pots, containers or open ground.  Leave them alone. Fair do's if potted or containerised then th pots etc can be moved out of sight.  However.  Don't bother about cutting off the flowering stalk, such as with daffs.  Let them gracefully die back.  The required feed, believe it or not is actually in the vegetive growth.

23/04/2014 at 08:19

Many thanks for your help Bilje and Mike much appreciated.

email image
4 messages