Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fuchsia - when to cut it back

This fuchsia in my garden is over 15 years old at least as we brought it with us from last house.

Usually in the winter it dies right back to a stump so I have never had to cut it back. However as it was so mild last winter it didn't die back. It has flowered as much as normal but very tall and top heavy. Usually it is a compact shrub.

How should I look after it this winter? Do I wait to see if it dies back itself or cut it back into a better shape?

I don't know much about the best way to look after fuchsias, all I do it cut off the dead flowers to encourage more flowers in the summer.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Mine didn't die back either and I just left it. Mine has more growth at the bottom though.

If it doesn't die back this winter, pretend it has and cut it back as you usually do

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

The outdoor types are cut back almost to the ground when you see new growth next year, it will grow all new leaves right from the base and make a nice thick plant. This is usualy about March.

You could put a nice thick layer of mulch around the base and it will be fine over winter.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks for the advice.

My fuchsia only seemed to shoot from the existing branches this year not many fresh shoots from ground level.

I have never done cuttings from fuchsias. When is the best time to do it and what is the best technique please?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.