London (change)
Today 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
3 messages
17/07/2014 at 08:20

Following advice on this website I intend, for the first time, to take fuchsia cutting as follows;

Take cuttings about September & put in water. Once roots have grown pot on in 8cm (3") pots.

My question is this; What then??? I do not have greenhouse only car-port. Can I leave them in car-port over winter? Do I water them? Do I re-pot in bigger pots? The fuchsias are hardy.

Any advice appreciated.

17/07/2014 at 08:39

Morning BILLYC

fuschia cuttings really are easy.  No need to wait.  Do it now.  Use mpc with added perlite or grit and insert 7 to 9 cuttings around the rim of a 9cm pot.  Water.  cover with polythene bag and leave in sheltered shady position.  In late August or so when cuttings have rooted.....you will see signs of growth......pot on into individual 9cm pots.  They can remain outside for few weeks.  Don't rush growth and dont feed. you can protect over winter with cloche,,fleece etc.  next spring pot on again.  It's my regular regime.  

17/07/2014 at 08:43

the more root growth they can get before winter sets in the better, take your cuttings now and they should be happy to stay under your car port (unless we get a winter like 2010 again with double digit negative figures)

email image
3 messages