London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
4 messages
14/08/2013 at 13:44

Good afternoon all , My husband has just sorted me a new bed , it's half shade ,I would like to plant a couple of grasses ,are there any hardy ones. It is quite sheltered, and gets aftternoon sun for a while , thanx

14/08/2013 at 14:15

When I wanted to plant up a new bed with grasses, I emailed Knoll gardens giving them a description of the soil etc and they replied with suggestions. You can have a look at this http://www.knollgardens.co.uk/plantsforplaces.asp

14/08/2013 at 16:03

Witch

Loads of pretty hardy grasses.....stipa Tennuissima looks wonderful all summer at about 40 cm high. And nice dark green evergreen foliage. Hackonochloa is a beauty......not evergreen but hardy. Beautiful yellow folkage marked with orange in summer.  Good in pots too. In your half shade this would be perfecf if there is reasonable moisture. Carex testacea is evergreen ...lovely olive colour.  Bowles golden grass is a stunner, everything about,this plant is yellow.....yellow swaying flowers in spring over bright yellow foliage and it loves shade.  Check out elymus magellanicus....this has truly eucalyptus blue foliage that,is evergreen.  The colour on this grass is as blue as any foliage can be.  Some red grassss include Imperata red baron....Japanese blood grass...which is stunning in my garden right now.  Other reds are uncinia unciniata  rubra. Carex buchanii, and comans bronze form.  There are loads of tall and very tall grassss that are,hardy ....check out the miscanthus family and Calamagrostis group.  And a stipa called gigantea that truly is eye catching from spring to autumn at a height of 7' plus on a delicate, translucent plant.  

14/08/2013 at 17:32

Wow thank you Verdun , that's soooo helpfull ,so much to choose more than I first thought.     And you too Fleurisa , will certainly take a look at that   many thanx

email image
4 messages