London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 20°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
27/03/2013 at 22:28

That's nice salino. How hardy do you find helianthemums? I seem to lose them during winter after a year or two

27/03/2013 at 22:49

I find them very hardy where I am in East Anglia and it's been freezing here for last few winters.... my dog destroys some, he does like to pee over them unfortunately.... I've just lost 'Red Orient' which was a gorgeous plant with a long flowering season, and 'Georgeham' a lovely pink...  both to his habits... nothing much I can do about it, he goes out often enough but  does like a wee just after lunch...

27/03/2013 at 22:55
You can't beat wisley pink and wisley primrose Helianthemums. Two of the very best. Lovely grey foliage, evergreen and spreading with beautiful flowers.
They are hardy if well drained and in full sun. However, cuttings are simplicity itself. I grow several varieties and the Wisley varieties are my preference
27/03/2013 at 23:08

yes I like Wisley Primrose too, I have it here... with Phormium 'Golden Alison'...

I was unsuccessful with Wisley Pink but would like to try that one again sometime...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20641.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

27/03/2013 at 23:16
Hey, salino, never met anyone else who grew wisley primrose. You got it growing superbly with the Phormium . Methinks the grey Helianthemums like it bit drier
27/03/2013 at 23:23

..thank you... yes I think they enjoy all the pebbles.  Underneath that plant there's nothing but hard core and rubble...

27/03/2013 at 23:43

I may have to try again. I had a lovely orange. One of the 'Ben' series but can't remember which. I left Wisley Pink in a previous garden. 

06/04/2013 at 22:04

Hi all thanks for all the comments sorry no reply as yet as I not been getting any e-mails about new messages and I would hate think people think am being rude for asking things on gardening world web site and not replying to comments, about the soil and sun/shade/moisture situation, all my plants are in pots as only have a back yard but I love trying new ways of planting plants, and do have some shade with the high walls, I always make sure that all plants have water but with loads of rain can end up too much on some pots, and thanks I will try some bugle/ajuga  ground cover plants,and look into Lamiastrum galeobdolon Variegated.

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages