Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

growing mecanopsis

WinniecatWinniecat Posts: 100

I am pleased to say that I have approx. 25 mecenopsis betonicifolia seedlings that I sowed late last summer. They are doing well and I am just potting on into jndividual small pots and keeping them in my unheated (bubble wrapped) greenhouse.

Does anyone have tips on what to do next? When to plant out and conditions they require in the meantime? I've come this far and really want to succeed with these beautiful plants.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi Winniecat, my understanding is when planted out they like damp, some shade and a cool spot and slightly acidic conditions. I've never grown from seed or managed to get a bought plant to flower, I live in hope as I've currently got two in the garden and one in a pot. I know they grow well in the Lake District and in Scotland. 

Hopefully someone else can advise about your next step, I believe Punkdoc and Fidgetbones have both grown them from seed. 

Good luck it is a plant that  I would so love to actually see flowering.

• WinniecatWinniecat Posts: 100

Thanks KEF, I read in my RHS book that you should stop them flowering the first year, otherwise they may die!  I live in SE Cornwall and have seen them flowering here (the Garden House in Dartmoor has a lovely collection). 

I'm just interested to hear if anyone else has had any success with them?

Winnie, I didn't need to stop mine flowering, they never tried image Over the last few years I've bought 8 plants and had no success whatsoever image The last ones I bought were from a nursery and it was the first time I learnt that they like slightly acidic conditions, it never said so on the other plant labels. I've planted mine in my ericaceous bed if they manage to flower they won't look great with pierris image 

Did you buy your seeds? I thought that they were best sown fresh image But hey you've germinated them image well done you. 

If you aren't around during the week, dunno if you are at work, I'll keep bumping your thread up so hopefully someone will advise you what to do next.image

• WinniecatWinniecat Posts: 100

Thanks KEF I appreciate it, I'll check in the evenings. I bought the seed from amazon, they came direct from China.

Thanks Edd, I've had a quick look and will re-read tomoz. Will respond. 

I've even tried putting small plants on the shed roof in case  they need altitudeimage Haven't reallyimage

They deffo don't like it hereimage Maybe I'm trying to grow the wrong colour might grow great if they were red.  

Bumpimage

• mollismollis Posts: 151

Well done on the amount that have germinated... I tried growing from seed for about 3 years.. I had limited success with the germination, but the plants that did grow never bloomed... I gave them all the requirements... Acidic soil, damp, some shade etc... I gave up in the end.... Lovely plants if you can get them going though! Good luck

• TesniTesni Posts: 163

I am just sowing some Blue Poppy seeds now, so will watch this thread with interest. They're such a gorgeous colour.

Winnie the link provided by Edd does explain how to treat them after germination. 

Please let us know what happens image