12 messages
19/03/2013 at 17:03

I have 2 hanging baskets 1 foot in diameter and i want to fill one with trailing lobelia. How many plants should I put in to fill the basket and then trail over the edge? In the other i will put surfina in how many will i need for that basket?

I also have 2 15 inch potts and in one I am going to put a oblisk in and grow nasturtums up the oblisk, how many will i need to fill the pot up for a good display? I am going to plant morning glories with an oblisk in the other pot, how many of those will I need to grow to get a good extremely bushy display.

Thanks for any advice

19/03/2013 at 17:51

hi cairnsie i would put the lobelia about three inches apart all round the edge and one in the middle so around seven all together. same for the surfina, aim to put all the plants about three to four inches apart. you will get a fantastis display.

19/03/2013 at 17:58

I have a recipe found a few years ago which I find works. Some say put in as many plants as you can but not always ideal:

35cm - 3 tall upright,centre;  3 medium upright, middle; 5 trailing plants

40cm - 5-7 trailing; 5 medium upright, middle; 4 upright, centre

I have done these with the lobelia and I put ordinary ones in the centre (they add height) then added up the rest and stuck them in using the 35cm size

Go for odd numbers for your other pots. 5 nasturtiums, but I can't help you with the morning glory as I am growing them for the first time this year. Any other answers may help me as well

19/03/2013 at 19:52

Thanks for the advice, seven lobelia thats alot i was really thinking 4 would do so i am glad i asked. Better getting a few more sown then

19/03/2013 at 20:56

I use to put lobelia in my baskets but since stopped. I always find it to be the first that looks the tattiest and in some circumstances make the basket look exhausted, well before the season ends.

Me personally, I'd stick to 4 lobelia and use other plants to fill the spaces.

19/03/2013 at 21:56
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20187.jpg?width=350

this is the look i am going for do you think 7 plants?

Thanks for the advice i may think about using something else.

Anyone got any idears on morning glory too

19/03/2013 at 22:00

I have 12 inch baskets and put 5  trailing lobelia around the outside and whatever I have to go in the centre,  nasturtiums are nice but they drop the seed pods like crazy and sprout in places you don't expect,  I grew some 2 years ago and I'm still finding plants,  they look nice but I want them where I want them to be,  I'm growing Morning Glory for the first time myself so can't help you with that one either.

19/03/2013 at 22:08

Funny I am growing plants for my dad and asked him if he wanted any nasturtums and he said exactly the same thing about them spreading like weeds. I will be starting my morning glorys in coy pots as i have read the dont like root disturbance

19/03/2013 at 22:16

Oh I wish I'd heard that as I've set my Morning Glory away in little module pots,  I shall just have to be very careful with them,  up to now there's about 10 seedlings through.

19/03/2013 at 22:27

I have not ever grown just read it, they probably be ok

20/03/2013 at 08:03

It will be ok, grown all of the above in pots and never had any problems.

One thing I will say though, I've never found nasturtums to be natural climbers, lots of tying-in maybe required.

Lyn
20/03/2013 at 08:53
Try using richardii lobelia lasts all year, much stronger plants, doesn't go tatty, is infertile so no dead heading and you can propagate loads for next year.
email image
12 messages