London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
13 messages
09/12/2012 at 16:32

I have a lovely hardy fushia which has been doing very well. Last year we cut it back at some point, but can't remember when.

It's now stopped flowering and the berry things have gone, Is now the right time to cut it back to the ground?

Thanks

09/12/2012 at 16:51

It's actually best to leave it until spring. The old growth will help protect the crown.

09/12/2012 at 16:51

I'd leave it til spring. Top growth does offer a bit of protection to the base.

09/12/2012 at 16:52
I always cut mine back in March/April when I see the new growth just pushing through. I also put some compost or bark around the roots to give some protection over winter. Hope this helps.
09/12/2012 at 16:57

Thanks for all your replies. Spring time it is then. I'm assuming you can clearly see the new growth emerging and then you cut the old growth back?

09/12/2012 at 17:06
Yes Jackie Frost you can clearly see the new growth and it's easier to cut the old growth away when the new growth is just coming through.
09/12/2012 at 17:16

Thanks again

09/12/2012 at 17:25

All of my hardy fuschias have been frosted now. They're at the stage of having dying leaves still hanging on. I know it infuriates me them looking like that, but after the next frost a stiff wind will blow them all off.

In the spring you'll notice regrowth lower down on the stems. That's where you cut back. If you've do it too early the new growth can also get frosted. Yes mulch around the plant now whilst the soil is still moist to protect the roots. J.

09/12/2012 at 18:16

Hi J, I have a couple of fuschias in the garden, one I know to be hardy as it has come through 2 Winters so far, with very little care or attention. I've not mulched around the plant before but might do a little this year as I would hate to lose it

The other has more delicate, smaller paler flowers which was sold to me as hardy....... I'm not convinced ..............but time will tell

10/12/2012 at 11:35

H/JF the hardy varieties often do have smaller flowers IME. Oh apart from Mrs Popple that is- I assume my Dads' plant is that. Just know it withstands very cold winters in WMidlands & has done many yrs. I've got a couple now in my garden & yet more cuttings, just in case. Just call it Dad's fuschia!

I grow Greyrigg & Hawkeshead. GR definitely is hardy, came trough the last couple of winters up here. Late at restarting in spring, but very delicate white/pale pink flowers. There's a good sized shrub of it at Harlow Carr which I spotted last yr.

Hawkeshead, which has small white flowers, I did actually lose- when I didnt protect its' roots in a large pot! So I now have a new plant in the ground & several good cuttings- still in my porch! J.

10/12/2012 at 19:45

Fuchsia, after Leonhart Fuchs (German botanist).

10/12/2012 at 20:27

Stand corrected Joe. I knew it looked wrong & should have checked. J.

11/12/2012 at 06:43

I always have to look up buddleia (or buddleja, as some people prefer)!

email image
13 messages