1 to 20 of 22 messages
07/04/2013 at 20:36

In the space of a few weeks I've acquired 4 hellebores!  In my last garden I had one H. Niger  that did quite well, and in a garden I had back in the '80s I had a couple, they were lovely and I enjoyed them, but I didn't feel the need to do any more than pot up little seedlings and bring them on and give them to friends.

Now, since 'meeting' some of you (you know who you are ) I get an uncontrollable urge to buy a hellebore whenever I see one.

I now have H Niger 'Christmas Carol', H Niger 'Snow Love', H Lividus 'Silver Edge' and today's acquisition H. orientalis 'Tutu'.

They're all still in their pots - I'm planning to plant them in the shady bank under one of the ash trees - any tips, comments, suggestions?

07/04/2013 at 20:42

I've not grown any of those you mention, they all sound very nice.  I had Helleborus viridus planted 'en masse' in my last garden, the flowers are all green and I liked that very much, under shrubs, but my favourite is argutifolius as it has such large leaves, serrated, and makes a big imposing plant - seeds everywhere but I used to cut the flowers off after they had faded to prevent some of that... I must get another one now...

I enjoy the lighter flower colours best, whites, yellows, not so much the dark ones...

07/04/2013 at 20:44

Just the thin end of the wedge Dove.

Salino much as I love those really dark ones I think the lighter ones have more impact in the garden

07/04/2013 at 21:09

I only have two....but I collected some seed a few years ago and this year one of the babies looks like it may flower

Here is the mummy plant (bit difficult to take pics!)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/Cheerypeabrain/2012/027-1.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/Cheerypeabrain/2012/028-1.jpg

the baby bud looks pink...daddy plant is a pink double so I can't wait to see what the baby flowers look like....

07/04/2013 at 21:20

Easy to see why we get addicted. I think the early flowering comes into it as well. By the time the hellebores come out we're so grateful to see them as a sign of approaching spring

07/04/2013 at 22:32
Hey folks hellebore addiction is more devious than that...you can't just like the lighter ones. The dark ones will grab youESP when you eventually get a group of them. You will want the purples, greens, whites, yellows, reds, specks and spots.,singles and doubles.
Salina, argutifolius is nice. I have it too. Look online at helleborus orientalis.....tell me you won't be tempted.
07/04/2013 at 22:36

Dove - I've got a tutu! Feel like I'm playing gardening snap!!

07/04/2013 at 23:51

Cheerypeabrain that really is a lovely colour.

Dove it would be great to see some pics.

Verdun you are right I want them all, have ordered double green and double yellow which will arrive later in the month so should be good by next winter.

A couple of weeks back one grew from nothing- I thought the one that had been there had died. It's another purple. I'm so pleased with the find.

08/04/2013 at 06:10

Does anyone have experience of H lividus?  On the label it says it is hardy, and indeed it's been out in its pot in the garden for the past month, all be it in a sheltered spot.  However stuff I read on the web tells me it should be in a pot in a cold greenhouse 

Your comments?

08/04/2013 at 08:12

Morning Dove

I grew some from seed, probably should have kept them protected for thefirst winter but I didn't and they died.

08/04/2013 at 09:29
Hello dove I have it in my garden but not a favourite. It seems to be hardy here....2 maybe 3 years .
Bev, bet you ordered from harvington. That double green looks great....may order too. Wonder if the green is really that deep? Got a few double yellow sorts and they are sensational .....from ashwood nurseries.
08/04/2013 at 14:57

Yes Verdun it was Harvington. I ordered a double pink spotted and a double yellow spotted as well. They all look so beautiful - it will be interesting to see them in my garden.

08/04/2013 at 19:08

Been looking at these myself this year, not ever considered them before. Like their nodding heads. Do insects like them?

08/04/2013 at 19:10
Brumbull wrote (see)

Dont know about this lurgy thats going around but what i do know ........ think ive got this HELLEBORE ADDICTION thingy-me -jig ........... Verdun, tips please for a complete novice

Brum- I think I'm going to name us the 'Helluvabores' if this addiction catches on....

08/04/2013 at 19:16

Fairy   (been called a lot worse!)

08/04/2013 at 19:51

Its so easy to get hooked on these beauites ,I have many in my garden adn now also got seedlings needing potted up.

08/04/2013 at 20:17

Hi guys, does anyone have any tips on getting hellebore seed to germinate? I've got helleborus foetidus in my garden which has self seeded but I recently bought some seed of a purple hellebore (that's all I know) and I've read that some can be difficult to germinate. Is there anything special I should be doing?

Cheers

08/04/2013 at 20:40

Hi Lorea

Sow it when it's ripe, ie about to drop out of it's seed case, leave it outside and wait. It will germinate in spring if not before. I usually cover mine with grit, saves the winter rainswahing them out.

08/04/2013 at 21:21
Lorea wrote (see)

Hi guys, does anyone have any tips on getting hellebore seed to germinate? I've got helleborus foetidus in my garden which has self seeded but I recently bought some seed of a purple hellebore (that's all I know) and I've read that some can be difficult to germinate. Is there anything special I should be doing?

Cheers

nutcutlet wrote (see)

Hi Lorea

Sow it when it's ripe, ie about to drop out of it's seed case, leave it outside and wait. It will germinate in spring if not before. I usually cover mine with grit, saves the winter rainswahing them out.

Lorea- yes sow it asap when ripe. Cover with grit as NC says & then wait. They can take quite a while to germinate. I leave mine in a shady spot. Take care re slugs though as the seedlings can be attacked. Pot on/up as nec & eventually you'll get a flowering plant. No guarentee of a decent colour though. J.

08/04/2013 at 21:59

Thanks for those replies. I sowed the seed as soon as I got it, but I have no idea how fresh it was. I'll follow your advice and hope for the best! 

1 to 20 of 22 messages