London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
14 messages
22/06/2013 at 09:58

good morning, 

Im new to the site, and actually new to gardening. I hope its not too cheeky to ask for help identifying what the plants in my garden are. Its in need of a lot og TLC, i suspect removing the weeds is my starting point. im just not sure which are the weeds.

is the a good reference to aid identificationk? alternativly, is it the done thing to post pictures? 

thank you.

22/06/2013 at 10:03

There are some real experts on this site, but I am not one of them!  It isn't cheeky to ask with identification at all, people are really happy to help.  They managed to identify something for me the other day just from my bad description, but pictures do really help (if you have a few, it is best to number them or have some reference for people to relate their answers to).

22/06/2013 at 10:13

Hi Ricky, welcome

There are people on this site that love a good plant ID session, me for one 

the more difficult the better

The more pics there are the easier it is. Flowers, buds, leaves, stems/bark, friut/seeds and an pverall view of the plant is great

Pics are uploaded via that little tree in the bar across the top of your reply box. That tree sometimes looks like a green wine glass to me, especially later in the evening.

22/06/2013 at 10:41

Or better still use Photobucket or such like. At least then we get a decent size picture to look at. The ones on here are almost useless for people with failing eyesight like me.

22/06/2013 at 10:51

True, some of them are tiny 

22/06/2013 at 14:40

Hi Ricky, welcome to the forum.

There are a couple of RHS books that are very pictorial and helpful, though they are quite expensive. One I use a lot is The RHS Encyclopaedia of Garden Plants and Flowers. As nutcutlet says there are a lot of people on this forum with a vast knowledge of plants and flowers and love the challenge of identifying them. Regarding putting photos on the site it helps to make sure the pics don't exceed the file sizes the forum can cope with. If you have the software to adjust them an ideal file size is 1024x768 pixels. These can then be easily opened and zoomed in on by clicking on the pictures in your post. Regards, John H

22/06/2013 at 15:32

Can anyone tell me the name of this plan/flower ?

Sorry cant get the site to upload my picture for folks to see, please help?

22/06/2013 at 15:55

Hi Willie - to upload pics click on the picture of the tree on the toolbar above where you're typing your message - then follow the instructions 

22/06/2013 at 16:50

I did try that and it did nothing???

22/06/2013 at 16:55

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26032.jpg?width=285&height=350&mode=max

Reduced the size and it did upload.

Please can anyone tell me what it is???

22/06/2013 at 16:59

Hi Willie,

It may be that you file size is too big: can you look at that 1st and see if it's bigger than 1024x768 pixels. Some larger ones will upload but if they are too big nowt happens. A picture that is about 1.0mp should load OK. just click on the tree icon, then click select when the box pops up, locate your pic and double click on it, then click on upload. Pic should then drop into your posting. I only discovered how to do this a couple of weeks ago (courtesy of someone on this forum [think it was artjak]) but it sort of seems second nature now. John H

22/06/2013 at 17:02

Ah! I see you managed that while I was still typing my post!

22/06/2013 at 18:09

I have just left an answer on your other thread!

22/06/2013 at 18:17

So have I ...

email image
14 messages