Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

help identifying this plant please .

Samie CainSamie Cain Posts: 6

hi, i have had my garden for almost 4 years this plant pictured has been there all this time but this year has gone crazy , it must be due to the rotted manure i put on the roses next to it last year !!! but it wonderful for a short time then almost disappears , someone suggested it may be a skunk cabbage but i cant a similur one pictured ! the roses next to it are very old original to my victorian house i have been told ! The garden was in a state when i bought the house and have tried to keep the bones as much as possible, but this plant has me straching my head !!!

many thanks 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

British wild flower, Arum maculatum known as  Lords and ladies. The central bit develops into  a spike of red berries.

• Samie CainSamie Cain Posts: 6

Oh thank you so much Figetbones ! image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

My pleasure. I have a good crop this year, creeping in from the old orchard next door.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

do however be careful if there are kiddiwinkles about - those beautiful red berries are poisonous. 

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Careful with pets too.