London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
7 messages
03/09/2013 at 08:21

Hello all. We have recently had a new driveway (not finished yet) and have now  three large sloping areas to plant. We don't want any more grass areas and would like to have a mixture of trees and ground cover plants. The one area is quite steep and is next to woodland. It does get some afternoon/evening sun,  but is mostly shade. The other two areas have sun from mid morning onwards. Some ideas I have is to to plant some spruce or pine trees on the steeper slope and maybe go for cotoneaster or vinca as ground cover mixed with faster growing shrubs on the other slopes. I want to keep the cost down but also have something that will grow quite quickly. Any help will be appreciated . 

03/09/2013 at 08:43

Morning karen

For the sunny borders, How about heathers, conifers like juniper sulphur Spray and any of the blue or yellow varieties, and Taxus, (excellent for drought resistance and appearance) grasses and foliage coloured plants like pittosporum (Tom thumb, purple;  Irene Patterson, white grey)?  You could have low maintenance evergreen colour all year round.  Throw in convolvulous cneorum, hardy osteospermums, Helianthemums, etc

For the shade I agree with cotoneaster (horizontallis)

03/09/2013 at 23:32

I can recommend Geranium macrorrhizum a shade ground cover. Also the variegated euonymus

04/09/2013 at 09:41

Thats great. I was also wondering whether to plant a couple of different types of christmas trees on the steeper shady slope. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for all the suggestions I will have a look at all of these and get planting! 

04/09/2013 at 10:41
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30478.jpg?width=350

This is an example of what you could do with the sloping sunny borders. It's a photo of a part of a Dutch garden which was built when the dikes needed reinforcing. It's a lot of hard work building it but, when established, it hardly needs any care at all. Some clipping and watering, that's it. Lots of beautiful alpines have been incorporated while building this terraced part, and before that, the slope itself was planted with Cotoneaster dammeri.  

05/09/2013 at 08:49

Thankyou. The photo is really good. We certainly need something that will look after itself, as we have a lot of woodland and garden to care for. I wondered how long the cotoneaster would take to grow to that size?

05/09/2013 at 15:26

They started with small plants ( in 3 liter pots) in 2001 and in about 5 years the weedproof fabric underneath had been covered completely. I noticed that Nutcutlet recommended the variegated Euonymus', and IMO they would look very good together with the Cotoneaster if planted in large drifts.    

email image
7 messages