London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 14°C
11 messages
10/08/2013 at 15:33

At last! My 'Blue Bird' is covered with flower buds just about to open!

Some of you may remember that it's been an ongoing thread on here these last few years, as I've been maddened by the lack of flowers, despite feeding, mulching.etc. Over about 10 years it had been in various places in the garden, even in a large pot for a couple of years, all to no avail.  Every year I've given the bush a good talking to and threatened to compost it if it didn't flower! But this spring I needed room for a choisya that was getting too large for it's space, so I swapped it over and put the hibiscus in it's place. Only moved it about 6 feet away. And low and behold it has produced a great number of buds at last. I'm so delighted, and pleased that I didn't compost it after all. Granny always taught me that patience is a virtue!

10/08/2013 at 16:06

I have one that flowers well but it must be 10+ years old and its still ony about 2ft tall, keep looking at it thinking its going to end up in the green bin!

10/08/2013 at 16:17

Mine are only two years old and have never flowered.  Now that I have heard your story Doris, I will not hold my breath.  However, will give them all a good talking to ....

10/08/2013 at 17:19

Now, I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about this very subject...I bought my hibiscus in flower several years ago. Since then I have moved it once as it did not flower again. Frustratingly, it puts on new growth (now about 1.3m), is fed and watered well and looks extremly healthy but for the past two years it has only produced one flower bud. Last year that one bud flowered, this year it has dropped off without opening!! I am going to give it a good talking to right now....I don't know how long I will hold out - 1 bud is such a tease!  

10/08/2013 at 18:46

I have one that flowers every year. It has to compete with Leillandi roots and never gets fed or watered unless it rains. I think they are a bit like buddleia, the less you do the better they are!

17/08/2013 at 10:16

Now that the flowers are open I can't imagine why I would have wanted to bin it. They are so lovely. I'd forgotten how big the flowes are, maybe it's my memory playing tricks, but I'm sure they were not as bigyears ago when it last flowered. Maybe it just loves where it is now. Next year will tell.

17/08/2013 at 10:18

Doris - oh so jealous !  Any chance of some pics ?

17/08/2013 at 10:38

Just bought one, knew it would be difficult but now im wondering wwhere to put it - compost or just somwhere undisturbed and forget about it, think I'll go with sues approach

17/08/2013 at 11:22

Just found this info on RHS - may help you out? 

Sunlight

• Full sun

Aspect

• South-facing or West-facing
  • Sheltered

Cultivation

Grow in a moist but well-drained soil in a sheltered position in full sun

Soil

• Well-drained or Moist but well-drained
  • Alkaline or Neutral
  • Chalk, Clay, Sand or Loam

Propagation

Propagate by semi-hardwoodcuttings

Suggested planting locations and garden types

City/Courtyard Gardens or Wall-side Borders

07/11/2013 at 17:08

I bought a hibiscus collection from T & M last year. White lilac and pink (apparently) and hardy.

all three were pink and only two flowered and they were few. 

they are still in pots so not sure if they will cope with our cold Scottish winds so have out them in the greenhouse For the winter.

lovely green foliage. I planned to make a small hedge but that won't happen soon.

07/11/2013 at 19:18

They can be really temperental all right, I have 6 youngish plants, I buy them in flower, make sure there planted in well drained soil in full sun and year in year out alot of them never flower, I water but never overwater. My oldest hibiscus is probably 6 or 7 and has never flowered, but has grown in size and looks very healthy. I have no idea which variety it is though as lost the label!  My double hibiscus flowers every year and although alot of the flowers go yellow and never open properly, I still love them and would never risk moving or removing them.

email image
11 messages