London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
28/08/2012 at 13:52

I've had hollyhocks this year for the first time ever.  Is it possible to plant the seeds once they've died back and grow some more?  They have a lot of what appear to be seed pods.

Thanks,

Una.

28/08/2012 at 14:04

Those nobbly buttons are seed pods.

Hollyhocks should be perennial (last for several years). The seeds can certainly be used to raise new plants, although the new plants won't necessarily be the same colour as the parents. If you simply leave the seeds pods by themselves they may self-seed. Whether they will self-seed depends on what kind of soil you have. I have a clay soil, so hollyhocks don't grow well here, and don't self-seed easily here. It's probably more reliable to collect the seed, and raise some small plants, then you can put the new plants where you'd like them to go.

28/08/2012 at 14:04

The good news is that mine do come back the following year and you can collect seeds and sow them. As with all seed collection it is the timing that is the difficult bit and mine get a bit untidy while I wait.

28/08/2012 at 14:13

So do I collect the seed pods now or wait?  Do I split the pods open or plant them as they are?  And would it be ok to just plant them in pots in ordinary compost to wait for next Spring?  I sound like a complete idiot but I've waited for years to have hollyhocks and would like to have them again, if I can.  I don't have a greenhouse or shed, by the way.

Thanks,

Una.

28/08/2012 at 14:30

I wait for them to go brown and then harvest them, a pod should split into lots of seeds. I would mix some sand/grit/perlite in with the compost. I do both I sow some now to see if I can get an early start and protect them in a cold frame/greenhouse. I also have sown them in spring and one year they flowered that year.

28/08/2012 at 14:37

I love Hollyhocks but every time I try them they get rust.

Are there some varieties that are rust resistant?

I haven't considered them for some years, but would like to give them another go.

28/08/2012 at 14:55

I love hollyhocks. I think they are the quintessential cottage-garden flower. I prefer the single varieties, which are hard to buy as plants, so I've raised all mine from seed, from T&M.

I've also taken many snaps, of hollyhocks growing in other people's gardens, throughout Warwickshire. This is not my front door, it's a house in the main street in Henley-in-Arden....

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/hollyhocks-henley.jpg

28/08/2012 at 16:21

Can't you just hear the bees buzzing when you look at that pic!

28/08/2012 at 16:48

This year I started using slug pellets on Valentine's Day and made sure to use them on a regular basis and it really seemed to help - I don't think I gave them a chance to breed.  So will do the same next year.

30/08/2012 at 18:20

I think Carol Klein told us that hollyhocks are in the mallow family and slugs don't like them. Am I remembering correctly. It was on a recent GW programme. I've grown some from seed this year and they are all un-munched.

02/09/2012 at 12:18

Thanks very much break23, will look out for them when next at the garden centre.

Chris

02/09/2012 at 12:26
break23 wrote (see)

... Thompson and Morgan and are Antwerp Mixed ...

T&M's Antwerp Mixed are the ones I've grown for several years. I've never had a significant problem with slugs or rust. I don't use any pellets. Though that doesn't mean other gardens will have the same experience.

02/09/2012 at 13:45

You do need to be careful of slugs with any small plants. I'm merely saying that hollyhocks are not as tempting to slugs as many other plants are, especially lupins.

Another reason I like Antwerp is that they are single. Most (all?) hollyhocks sold in garden centres are double, and not as attractive to wildlife.

T&M are also offering a new variety of singles this year called Halo. I think that T&M were offering also Halo as mini-plug plants earlier in the year. That's actually a good way to buy them. I was tempted, but didn't actually purchase.

14/09/2012 at 08:01

Here is a link to a blog I look at occasionally for advice on flowers and seed collection. There are some good photos of the seeds:

http://mrbrownthumb.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/how-to-collect-hollyhock-seeds.html

14/09/2012 at 09:32

Sprinkle some Corn meal around the Hollyhock in Feb and that stops rust. Not had any where the Corn meal was sprinkled but loads on some where no Corn meal was used.

27/09/2013 at 15:25

wow what great info I was almost giving up finding any advice I will look out for Antwerp and Halo on the T&M website.  When should the stems be cut down and is it to ground level?

12/08/2014 at 14:03

I would like to know when I can plant Hollyhock seeds to get plants next year. My seeds have been taken from the flowers.

12/08/2014 at 14:23

Hi Ann, I'd store these cool and dry and sow them in spring. 

If you've got plenty you could try some now but then you'd have babies to get through the winter.

Mine (just one plant) are nowhere near ripe yet

13/08/2014 at 14:04

Don't you just love Hollyhocks? The descendants of mine have spread down the street 

13/08/2014 at 14:17

Thank you Nutcutlet.

1 to 20 of 21 messages