London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
7 messages
16/05/2013 at 09:14

Hi there im planting some Honeysuckle in a deep long wooden trough, which i am hoping will climb up my trellis.

I have read that i need to ensure that the troughs have good draining holes and crocks at the bottom

But can people suggest some advice for the best compost to use general planting tips and whether to use fertisliser etc?

(im a bit of a novice)

many thanks!

16/05/2013 at 10:13

...I wish you luck with that, and hope it will turn out very nice for you.... if I was doing it for myself I would use John Innes no. 3 compost, which is a very heavy, poorly drained soil based compost, mixed 50/50 with ordinary Multi Purpose compost.  Additionally I would add in a generous amount of Horticultural Grit [small pebbles], as it aids drainage considerably....  how much you would need you would have to work out yourself.... according to container...

all a bit messy at first but I think you will find it's worth it.... the use of JI No. 3 provides long term nourishment...and a weighty container...

16/05/2013 at 15:07

And what about feeding do i need to do this weekly, monthly?

thanks!

16/05/2013 at 16:29

...what I would do, is incorporate a small amount of slow release fertilizer in with the compost mix, it should last all season with no need for anything further.   Honeysuckle's, to be honest, don't need a lot of fussing over, generally... next year I would do the same, slow release granules in April....with a top up of a layer of fresh compost and grit over the surface...

Incidentally, as you said you're a bit of a novice... it's best not to fill the trough right up to the top with compost, leave a gap about 1-1/2 inches and top off with about half an inch of grit/or pea shingle...so you are left with about 1 inch below the rim clear....

it will conserve moisture,  make the trough look pretty and makes watering much easier - it shouldn't run over the sides... horticultural grit looks very nice I think for this purpose...

I hope you have a large trough as these plants like a fair bit of room and you may find it outgrows the pot after a very few years...  what variety is it, if you don't mind me asking...

16/05/2013 at 16:38

...oh and another thing, although you may already know all this.... wood containers will rot quicker if in contact with soil and water... rather obviously.... you could paint them first or  what I do is line the wooden trough with something - I use stretched out black plastic bin liners with holes in the bottom for drainage - you can also get mesh inserts - ... and lay them inside the trough so they fill it out, and then put the compost mix in... it's a bit awkward to do but it keeps the mix away from the wood as much as possible, and these liners take about 3 million years to rot down, don't they...

17/05/2013 at 09:03

Hi there thanks for all your advice its really helping a novice like me!

Its a LONICERA JAPONICA AUREORETICULATA 

thanks

17/05/2013 at 14:55

...aah...that's probably one of the more suitable for your purpose, I do hope it does well for you... I think in that case, if it was mine, I would top off the compost with some  purple pebbles or suchlike - make it look nice... so much choice for these decorative purposes that we can buy now... a bewildering array but I do like all the coloured stones... or plain chipped bark even... anyway,  best of luck with it...

email image
7 messages