Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How ruthless???

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

garden is still full of colour, prob more so than during the summer, but already I am thinking of changes. Thinking of bigger and better as we all do but always torn betwen more foliage and less flowers or vice versa image

I am ruthless enough, impatient enough, to start ripping stuff out now.  Just me or anyone else like this?

i will resist though for another couple of weeks but once I start the changes I am like a dervish of energy resulting in mass destruction of all my currently beautiful flowers.  

Please tell me this is quite normal image  Logically I am preparing for next year after all image

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

Perfectly normal. That's why the recycling bin and compost heaps are always full.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,472

I must admit that in a few week's time I will be hoping for a light frost so that I can compost stuff with a clear conscience.

My mind, too, is already on next year. I will soon be ready to ' travel in hope' but not quite yet.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i think it's perfectly normal, i have no patience for waiting for the 'right time' if something needs moving/ripping out i just move/remove it regardless, if i decide to do something i do that hour!

jealous of all your colour, i have hardly anything, i need to find out blues & whites that flower during the autumn

• Yes, already started on a few things and got a ripping list pennedimage

Wearside, England.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,472

I've been quite ruthless this year and it's been a pleasure replanting. 

There have been so many new plants and ideas since my garden was shrubbed thirty odd years ago by the previous owners.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'm more ruthless each yearimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

I thought it was just me image I get really pushy. I wait all year for the plants to do their thing, then suddenly I want it to get over and done so I can start messing around again, always thinking for next year.

I do keep myself restrained I been wanting to move a baptisa all summer, as soon as it starting going dormant I be moving it to its new home. I've got loads of plans of moving this and that everywhere and of course getting new plants image. Last year wootens did a October sale so think of getting just one or two plants image or 10 image.

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

I know they dont like to be moved but the heleniums are out competing it. its not so big at the moment. I havent really got anywhere else to put the heleniums, the slugs keep demolishing delephimiums in one area, that why I am think of planting the baptisa there. I will reassess before i take the plunge image