London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 39 messages
22/08/2014 at 09:33

I've never grown Hyacinths before but do love them and absolutely love the smell.  So, I'm thinking of growing some for indoor and outdoor.

I just wondered if anyone had any tips or pros / cons to share.

Do I grow them for outdoors in the same way as other bulbs and do they keep from her to year or only last one season? For indoors I know (well I think I know) I need to ut them somewhere dark for a while (until the shoots show?).

Thanks.

22/08/2014 at 09:34

*ut = put......stupid iPad wouldn't let me amend it!!

22/08/2014 at 09:48

For indoor displays, you need to buy the prepared bulbs. Pot them up with the top third of the bulb showing and put them somewhere dark for about 8-10 weeks by which time they should have rooted. Make sure to keep the soil consistently moist.

Dont bring them out of darkness until you see green shoots coming from the bulb.

Outdoor Hyacinths are easy, just plant them 2-3 times the depth of the bulb and they will come up year after year in about April time

22/08/2014 at 10:31

I often find hyacinths a bit top heavy even though I buy the smaller bedding size type and end up staking them with an orchid type stake/stick. 

I know a lot of people don't like the smell but this spring I had my 6 chimney pots filled with hyacinths and the smell wafting around my driveway was immense. I don't tend to notice it when they're in the ground but having them a bit higher up seemed to do the trick

22/08/2014 at 10:48

As Matt says for indoor display you need to buy prepared bulbs. These will be clearly marked at the GC. While you are there, can you buy me a few as well!

22/08/2014 at 11:25
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/001_zps6fdd2fa7.jpg

Yes, I agree, buy prepared bulbs for indoor displays...especially Christmas.

I usually do them for friends xmas presents - as above.

22/08/2014 at 12:35

I like hyacinths when they've been in the ground for a few years and spread a bit and lost that ungainly top-heaviness that Victoria mentions

22/08/2014 at 14:14

Thanks guys, so the outdoor ones I can leave in the ground then, that's good  I had a feeling for some reason that they only lasted one season, not sure why.

I was thinking of doing some for Christmas presents too David, to go with my jam and chutney, well not with it to eat but you know what I mean!!.....home made presents for everyone this year and even then they have to be extra special to get a present 

22/08/2014 at 14:36

You can put the ones that have flowered in the house this winter in the ground outside, and they will keep flowering for years.  No need to throw them out in other words.

22/08/2014 at 16:29

Good luck with them, OL.....the timing of the Christmas sorts is rather important.

22/08/2014 at 16:59

I buy mine in spring already flowering (lazy I know) but when they go over I plant them outside. They come up next year no problem

22/08/2014 at 17:05

I have several clumps in the garden - each started as three or five bulbs that had flowered in the house.  They seem to just multiply ad infinitum.  I do feed them with tomato feed after they've finished flowering though, to promote the following year's flowers.  They are an absolute magnet for snails though, as they die down!  You may also want to mark where they are to save digging them up inadvertently when you are planting things out later in the year.

22/08/2014 at 19:52

I like to get my indoor ones planted at end August to get them into flower for Christmas.   I love the perfume of them, too.

I wonder when others get them started?   Mags

22/08/2014 at 20:04

Fraid I' m usually late.  (What's new). Would love to have them for Christmas.  Incidentally the blue ones smell a bit to strongly and not too pleasantly when they are going over.

22/08/2014 at 20:13
staffsmags wrote (see)

I like to get my indoor ones planted at end August to get them into flower for Christmas.   I love the perfume of them, too.

I wonder when others get them started?   Mags

I plant mine mid-Sept/early-Oct....... getting the timing right is important to having them in flower for the big day.

22/08/2014 at 20:19

So what is the optimum planting time for Christmas flowering?  I think I might stagger them and see, then I'll know for next year 

Thanks everyone 

22/08/2014 at 20:38

OL, I did step-by-step of this for the BBC boards a few years ago, I could do the same again here if it wasn't boring peeps.

22/08/2014 at 20:41

Well it won't be boring me....I need all the help I can get.  I know how well my  Begonias have done following step by step advice from on here so am hoping for similar results 

I love your pots by the way 

22/08/2014 at 20:47

Sometime over the weekend or early next week then, OL

Thanks....pots were quite nice (well they were a prezzie) and made from real wood. Having said that they were quite inexpensive...from Home Bargains, a local cheapo outlet.

22/08/2014 at 20:50

Thanks David, I'll try and get some Hyacinths ready over the weekend and will follow your instructions  

The outdoor ones I think I'm going to put in pots so I can have them by the back door 

1 to 20 of 39 messages