Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hyacinths

Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I've never grown Hyacinths before but do love them and absolutely love the smell.  So, I'm thinking of growing some for indoor and outdoor.

I just wondered if anyone had any tips or pros / cons to share.

Do I grow them for outdoors in the same way as other bulbs and do they keep from her to year or only last one season? For indoors I know (well I think I know) I need to ut them somewhere dark for a while (until the shoots show?).

Thanks.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

*ut = put......stupid iPad wouldn't let me amend it!!

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

For indoor displays, you need to buy the prepared bulbs. Pot them up with the top third of the bulb showing and put them somewhere dark for about 8-10 weeks by which time they should have rooted. Make sure to keep the soil consistently moist.

Dont bring them out of darkness until you see green shoots coming from the bulb.

Outdoor Hyacinths are easy, just plant them 2-3 times the depth of the bulb and they will come up year after year in about April time image

• I often find hyacinths a bit top heavy even though I buy the smaller bedding size type and end up staking them with an orchid type stake/stick. 

I know a lot of people don't like the smell but this spring I had my 6 chimney pots filled with hyacinths and the smell wafting around my driveway was immense. I don't tend to notice it when they're in the ground but having them a bit higher up seemed to do the trickimage

Wearside, England.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

As Matt says for indoor display you need to buy prepared bulbs. These will be clearly marked at the GC. While you are there, can you buy me a few as well!

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/001_zps6fdd2fa7.jpg

Yes, I agree, buy prepared bulbs for indoor displays...especially Christmas.

I usually do them for friends xmas presents - as above.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I like hyacinths when they've been in the ground for a few years and spread a bit and lost that ungainly top-heaviness that Victoria mentions

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Thanks guys, so the outdoor ones I can leave in the ground then, that's good image I had a feeling for some reason that they only lasted one season, not sure why.

I was thinking of doing some for Christmas presents too David, to go with my jam and chutney, well not with it to eat but you know what I mean!!.....home made presents for everyone this year and even then they have to be extra special to get a present image

• You can put the ones that have flowered in the house this winter in the ground outside, and they will keep flowering for years.  No need to throw them out in other words.

• Good luck with them, OL.....the timing of the Christmas sorts is rather important.

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

I buy mine in spring already flowering (lazy I know) but when they go over I plant them outside. They come up next year no problemimage