London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
16 messages
11/07/2012 at 13:37

I've looked at this plant for many weeks and always forgot to take my camera,  so today as I forgot it again I pinched a flower that was growing through the fence,  I'm sorry it's a bit blurred but I wanted to take the photo outside and as it was starting to rain did it in a bit of a rush,  anyway here goes it's a kind of daisy type and  pinky/purple in colour

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/rainjustlearning/IMG_0496.jpg

11/07/2012 at 13:49

osteospernum Id say

11/07/2012 at 13:51

My thought too-but it is a nosy one

11/07/2012 at 13:55

yes a cheeky one, maybe it thought it might not be raining on the other side of the fence.... 

11/07/2012 at 14:03
sotongeoff wrote (see)

What do you mean by a nosy one Geoff or am I being a bit dim,  now that I know what it is and thanks for that,  can I grow it from  seed presumably when the flower head dies it will produce seeds 

11/07/2012 at 14:07

Forgot to say that it was in someone else's garden  not mine,   also it seems to close up when the sun's gone do all osteospurmun's do that and with the rain that's coming down now weejenny it wont matter what side of the fence it's on 

11/07/2012 at 14:16
Rainjustlearning wrote (see)
sotongeoff wrote (see)

What do you mean by a nosy one Geoff or am I being a bit dim,  now that I know what it is and thanks for that,  can I grow it from  seed presumably when the flower head dies it will produce seeds 

It is peeking through the fence Rain-like some nosy neighbour

They are easily propagated by cuttings

11/07/2012 at 15:34

"Rain" Osteospermum are perennial, a woody base and will last a year or so.
They do not like rich soil but do need sun and well drained soil (constant rain and flooded gardens are our then), take cutting of none flowering shoots in midsummer and bring on in the usual way, we may get some summer for them to grow next year and yes they do open and close with sun or shade.
Plants will find a way to the sun. Next door to me put in some Japanese Anemmone some 20 years ago on a North facing fence to my drive. It gradually grew through into my South facing side which was quite arid and stony but it thrived now I have a long clump of it along the drive and he has none.

Frank.

11/07/2012 at 16:32

Some are hardier than others but, like many other people, I have clumps in my garden here in the milder south west that have lasted for years and root easily from cuttings. They get woody if they are not cut back hard every year. I do this in spring. They can overwhelm other plants if they are not cut back because they spread a lot.

11/07/2012 at 18:04

I can grow this one in the North of Scotland so this one is pretty hardy. So far my plant is eight years old. The way it spreads is by layering itself or cuttings. Can you not ask your neighbour for a bit? I know if I was asked I wouldnt mind at all.

11/07/2012 at 19:23

Thank you all for the replies,  it seems as if I'm going to have to ask a total stranger if I can take a cutting from his plant,  might just wait and see if I can get a plant from a GC or B+Q,  sorry about that Geoff I realised what you meant just after hitting the post button,  little grey cells not working properly today,  bit water logged I think 

11/07/2012 at 19:27

A stranger is a friend you haven't made yet -I think I may pinched that

11/07/2012 at 19:28

Forgot Rain -how is the ankle nowadays?

11/07/2012 at 20:02
sotongeoff wrote (see)

A stranger is a friend you haven't made yet -I think I may pinched that

I so agree go for it they may have other plants and you may have something theyd like a cutting of. They can only say no

11/07/2012 at 20:27

The ankle is getting on fine now thanks Geoff,  have managed to get about with out my walking stick for over a week now I had to as I didn't want to be reliant on it,  I have to go for a bone scan 31st this month to see if I have Osteoporosis and there's a person you can talk to if you have lost the confidence to go out on your own,  I need to get into my head that I wont fall over again more so when the frost's come again otherwise I shall be house bound for the entire winter but at least I can plan the garden,  might ask the person if I can take a cutting from the plant,  have managed to find some seeds on eBay OK they're only annuals but I've fallen in love with them. .

11/07/2012 at 20:41

The falling over again worry is quite common-OH is still very cautious as she had her accident 2 years ago-it is just one of the things you will in time get over I hope

email image
16 messages