Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ID these two plants please

FBTurtleFBTurtle Posts: 20

Hello,

Could these two plants in my garden please be identified? Thanks in advance.

• Hi

Looking at the photos I thought that the top photo might be a Geum and the bottom an Oxalis.  An amateurs guess. image

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Is the second one a type of oxalis?  

I grew up with oxalis as a weed, and we called it donkey weed or sweet grass.   As kids we used to pick the leaves and chew them.   It multiplied rapidly from small white bulbs which turned brown when ripe, and was an absolute menace!

But I don' t think this is that one.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I agree, the top one is a geum - it looks like the native one - Water Avens - I have them growing around my wildlife pond.

The bottom one is oxalis

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FBTurtleFBTurtle Posts: 20

Ok thanks for replies. Is it bad to have Oxalis in garden then? I think it looks quite nice!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Re oxalis - If you like it then it's a flower - if you don't then it's a weed - they do spread a bit. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

That particular Oxalis is not a thug like O. corniculata. It generally does not seed around.

The Geum could be one called Marmalade. That is a drooping headed orange flowered one.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Again can't see photos comes up with error
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

As Dove says, the Geum does look very like the native water Avens.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

FBTurtle, sorry if I got you worried about your oxalis. image   I should have said I grew up in Africa, very different climate to here!   I have now looked up and learned quite a bit more about oxalis, and I'm sure your one is not the one I knew.

Agree with you, it is pretty.