London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
8 messages
26/07/2013 at 17:43

I found a pile of teracotta pots behind an overgrown lilac - two of them are wall hanging pots, about 1.5L, which I've now hung up against the west-facing side of the house, on the wall screws which I think were originally intended for them (pots were probably taken down by previous owner as too high maintenance - the garden is well planned and planted but recently pretty neglected and I'm discovering all sorts of gems).

I'd like to have something evergreen and perennial in the wall pots. They are quite high on the wall so something trailing would be nice. Not overly worried about whether they flower - primarily after some greenery all year but flowers would be an added bonus. I'm aware that wall mounted terracotta will dry out easily, and happy to look after them i.e. gel in compost, regular watering/feeding etc if necessary.

So, any suggestions on something small ebough to live in a 1.5L container, trailing, evergreen perennial?

26/07/2013 at 17:52

A small variegated trailing ivy perhaps?

26/07/2013 at 17:54

Some houseleeks send off little satellite plants and look very pretty hanging down a wall. Look like spiders on silk. Very little maintenance too.

26/07/2013 at 17:59

Thanks - both of those sound like good ideas - local garden centre had a big table of houseleeks I walked straight past today  - will go back and take a closer look

Any more suggestions?

26/07/2013 at 23:36

I originally pinched a cutting of a sedum which I think is kimnachi from our local pub, and this grows quite long hanging stalks with yellow flowers.  We now have it in gaps in stone walls and my Mum has it in two quite small hanging pots - it appears to require very little soil or water!  A very small cutting poked directly into anything seems to grow and it's a nice bright clear green. 

27/07/2013 at 10:13

Great thanks!

27/07/2013 at 11:42

There is a slightly weird but lovely succulent which I think, and am quite prepared to be corrected if wrong, Mexican donkeys tail.  It grows with no attendtion whatsover, with little white/silver tear drop shaped 'leaves' along the stems which elongate over time.  I've never seen it flower, though it has lived here for a goodly nuber of years.  Each leaf will produce a new plant given a chance.  Should look good in a wall pot - mine is busy taking over a windowsill. 

02/08/2013 at 22:51

Bookertoo, I've just looked up Donkeys Tail (which appears to be called Sedum morganianum) - it's terrific and I am now on a mission to find one for my windowsill; it would look great with the 'thing that looks like peas on a string' that I don't know the name of!

email image
8 messages