London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
5 messages
25/07/2013 at 16:39

I recently saw a new shoot appear, which I knew wasn't a weed, so I hoped it was one of the flowers I planted in March finally showing up.

However, it's now big enough to see it's a tree. In fact, there are two of them just three or four inches apart. I think they're different species as the leaves look slightly different. The one on the left has elongated leaves of a darker green whilst the one on the rought has slightly rounder leaves and is a lighter green. You can see early bark forming around their bases, which are becoming relatively hard and thick.

Any ideas what they are?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28131.jpg?width=267&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28132.jpg?width=325&height=350&mode=max

I've already have two unexpected trees start growing in the last year, along with blackberries and a rose bush. I don't know where they're all coming from so suddenly, but it's ironic that little of the seeds and bulbs I'm planting are getting anywhere.

25/07/2013 at 19:39

Those could be Elder (Sambuca) and Ash.  It is very difficult to tell many tree seedlings apart at their early stages.  Ash trees seedlings are blown in by the wind but many of the things you mention grow from bird droppings - they eat the fruit and deposit the seed together with a nice dollop of fertiliser to get things started!  Indeed, many seeds need to be eaten and go through the digestive system of animals before they will germinate.

25/07/2013 at 19:50

i can see some ash leaves there. if the other is elder you'll be able to tell by the smell. rub the leaves, they're very strong smelling

25/07/2013 at 20:06

lucky you Tomsk. The best i've had for free this year is some california poppy's that have come up in the front. I like them that much i'm going to grow my own next year.

25/07/2013 at 22:17

I agree with Nut - ash and possibly elder too.  Unless you havethe  space for what will quite quickly become large trees - the ash will be very large - then they are weeds and should be pulled up now.  

email image
5 messages