Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

Hi all

I've recently moved to a new house and have focussed my attention on the front garden up to now.  This weekend I started to look at the back garden.  I've decided to leave it as is for the most part so I can see what plants come through throughout spring and summer so I can decide what to keep. 

However I noticed that a plant seems to be invading one bed so I think I need to do something about it. I can see that next door have this plant in a walled bed so assume it has seeded in my garden from that.  It has surrounded my japonica and another variegated shrub but is also taking root in the lawn!  Here is a picture of the plant and a close up of the leaf.

Does anyone know what this is? I fear Japanese Knotweed!

Many thanks

Hilary

nin

I dont know what it is but I have japanese knot weed and it is not Knot weed.  

Almost a tongue twister

Dovefromabove

I know what it is and I can't for the life of me think of its name - it has small pink flowers and round white fruits and used to be commonly grown as ground cover in game woods.  I shall get my books out ... 

Advertisement

nin says:

I dont know what it is but I have japanese knot weed and it is not Knot weed.  

Almost a tongue twister

See original post

Relief thanks!

Dovefromabove

Ah, hello Bob - your post didn't appear until I'd posted my last.  Yes, Snap!!! 

Thanks all. Snowberry did come up on an app which looks at leaf shape but I had dismissed it because the descriptions didn't mention the invasive nature.  I'll do some more research.

BobTheGardener

That was weird, Plant Paupers reply wasn't there when I posted but Dove's first post was!  Another forum glitch?

BobTheGardener

Snowberry is definitely invasive, by suckers.

plant pauper

I had never met snowberry until last year and when I read up on it it all sounded very polite. It's not a bit polite. My elderly neighbour scowls and calls it a scourge every time she looks at it.  If anyone finds out how to get rid or contain it let me know please. I can't get it trailed out because it's under a dry stone wall and it just keeps coming...

Dovefromabove

Yes, it spreads around by sucker and seed - as I said, often used to provide cover for game - just a few plants will fill a thicket pretty quickly.  

Joyce21

Annual glyphosate in spring helps to stop it spreading. Mine comes through the fence from woodland so I'll never eradicate it.

plant pauper

Yes that's my problem too Joyce21. It's commonly used as hedging and ditching around here so it pops up all over. If I can keep it to the boundaries I'll be happy with that. Maybe when my other stuff gets more established it'll be less noticeable. I'll pretend it's meant to be there.

I cleared a huge bank area of brambles and c**p and all that's left is a Philadelphus, a berberis and random tufts of snowberry. Dandelions, ground elder and some other weed thing don't count.  I'll try a dollop of glyphosphate when the rain stops. Yes rain! Thanks.

Advertisement

I inherited a hedge of this when I moved into the garden, got rid of it easy enough with SBK.