London (change)
Thu 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
9 messages
20/07/2013 at 21:58

Hi,

I want to know if a climbing rose we've just bought can be put into a trough shaped planter.

I want to plant a climbing rose in a trough planter. I have to use a planter because it will be on a patio. The rose will be climbing up a trellis on a fence so we cannot move it once it starts growing. It is important that we get the planter right from the beginning.

I want to use a trough planter rather than a tall one because of space constraints. I am thinking of a trough planter which is 60cms long, 28 cms wide, 26cms high.
I think this is ok because the volume of soil is the same - it just fits into a better shape. I know that some plant roots need to go down, usually to access water. However, is it ok for climbing rose roots to grow outwards rather than downwards and if so, is a length of 60cms long enough?

Thanks

20/07/2013 at 22:20

What is the name of the rose?

20/07/2013 at 22:56

I don't think your planter is a great idea.  Roses can be grown in large pots but they need depth.

21/07/2013 at 06:16

Yeah, something like a small summer clematis would tolerate it if you kept the root run cool and shaded (eg. a thick stone trough with stone mulch on top), but roses do need depth to grow at all well. Climbing plants in general prefer a deep root run as they've evolved to go down a ways to stop the wind catching their topgrowth and yanking their roots about. Sorry chuck...

21/07/2013 at 10:01

Roses don't cling and have to be pruned and tied up, so you could move it after you plant it. A shallow trough is not a good idea, though - the advice you've been given above is good.

21/07/2013 at 23:33

Thanks all.

Re the name, waterbutts, it's called 'High Hopes' - appropriately named for a climber!

Does that make any difference??

And would a VERY TALL planter be a solution? As we will have to give the plant away, otherwise; as there is simply NO groundsoil to use.

We have got a tall (c. 60cm HEIGHT) zinc planter going unused, so would that work at all?? (It's square-topped i.e. 30cm WIDTH x 30cm LENGTH, tapering only very slightly at the base.)

22/07/2013 at 07:58

If you'd have to give it away otherwise - I'd put it in the tall planter - you've nothing to lose so it's worth giving it a go. Add some weight to the bottom of the pot to aid stability - stones or a brick. Give it a good mulch after watering as well to help retain moisture. If it's not thriving you can always try a bigger pot or give it away as you were prepared to do that anyway. 

22/07/2013 at 09:58

I'd give the tall planter a go. I have several not too tall climbing roses in pots, but they are 50cms deep and 50cms in diameter. I have 2 in a trough, but it also is 50cms deep and 100cms long, 45cms wide. When I fill the pots I mix manure, compost and earth in the bottom half and top up with compost. They will need regular feeding with rose fertiliser and lots of watering.

Here is "The Pilgrim", a David Austin Rose, about 4 years old.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27938.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

And Malvern Hills and Phyllis Bide, about 6 years old.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27939.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

20/08/2013 at 11:54

Thanks everyone, for all your advice.  

I will try to keep the forum advised as to the rose's development.

email image
9 messages