Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is this correct ???

shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

hello, i have acquired two small plants which were substituted by a garden centre because the plants i ordered were not availabe. the description is the White Valerian which is good for wildlife but unfortunately, from what i can gather, these plants are going to grow to an astronomical size and i'm not sure where to site them.

if they are going to grow really big, they're going to have to put up with an extremely exposed site that gets buffeted by the wind as we live behind school playing fields and have no trees to shelter us from the weather.

can someone tell me if i am correct and what will the eventual size be of these plants ???

thanks    

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It grows about 3' (almost a metre) like the normal Valerian, as far as I know Shazza.image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

sorry, is that metres or feet ???????????

• addictaddict Posts: 659

I grew these and even in a sheltered spot they needed support because they get quite floppy like delphiniums but so worth it if you can find a place because the smell is incredible. Do you have a cat btw?

Verdun he is asking about Valeriana officinalis.http://www.barbarapleasant.com/valerian.html

Are you thinking of Centranthus commonly called Valerian? http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=364

The name of the thread is Valerian officinalis image Hope he means this one its beautiful but tall!

LOL Simple Cornish guy? Me thinks not....While you are here when are you going to enlarge the pics of your garden so I can see whats in it? You as a plantsman must know I have to know lol. image