Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

I've got my first ever Astrantia

Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

I've been buying bare root bargains again and picked up an astrantia.  It's been potted up and popped in the plastic greenhouse for now.

I've been reading up on them and it seems they're tender perennials. Am I best growing it in a pot rather than in the garden?  What size pot?

Will it survive overwinter in the greenhouse here in Manchester?

This is it today.....

Any advice is appreciated as I haven't got a clue ????

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

astrantias aren't tender, they're tough as old boots. 

If the soil is dry they need shade but with moisture in the soil they can handle some sun.

Much better in the garden, when the roots have filled (but not over-filled) that pot you can plant it out

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Kitty, I've got them in my garden - just up road from you - and as nut says - tough.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

Thanks nut, that's good news for me ?.  I wanted to plant it out.  I'm trying to increase my collection of herbaceous perennials.

The soil is always moist up here ☔ image

Thanks LB ?.  Will a south west aspect suit?  I want to put it in the front.

Another question.... How wide will it get?  

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Thats the aspect mine is growing in but I'm not sure how big it spreads. I'll have to go to RHS image Mine is only two years old and still quite small.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

they're not enormous, the clumps get gradually larger but it doesn't put out runners all over the garden. You can dig them up and split them to start again. They seed if you let them but they don't necessarily look like the parent, especially the dark reds

That's where it shall live then.  Thank you both for the advice and reassurance.

image watch me go and kill it now image.  

Just kidding imageimage

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Kitty, the deep red ones will prefer a bit more sun than the pink or white ones.

SW Scotland
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,719

Not a bit tender, I have"shaggy" tall white, in a woodland border, bit of shade by bungalow, and fence.  light and deep pink ones, in a more sunny border all doing very well thank you.My second year for shaggy died down completely in the winter, didnt think it was coming.