Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Japanese Anemone not happy

I have an Honorine Jobert whose leaves are going yellow and dying.  It has looked fine until recently with lots of leafy growth and 3 flower stems have appeared under the leaves.  Any ideas to halt the decay?  I would hate to lose it.  It is planted in dryish soil near, but not under, a large conifer in next door's garden and gets a good amount of sun each day.  

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I'd give it a drink.   My best clump of Japanese anemones is growing in a damp bed which is in shade most of the year except high summer for a week or two and then gets sun only after 3:30pm the rest of the year between early April and September.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Mine grow like weeds in a sunny south facing bed at the side of the house.

They were planted deeply about 40 years ago and still flourish. I do not feed them or water them in fact I would like to get rid of them but they are so nice late in the summer I dont.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

JOss's will have had time to get their roots down so they can cope with dryness but if happyC's is a recent planting it won't be so settled and will need extra moisture till it does get established. 

I find this white form much harder than the pink and purpley forms to grow well and have just planted my last attempt at getting them established here in good, fertile soil which is well drained but doesn't dry out and with shelter from the worst of the wind.   We'll see.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Thanks for all the comments. I had seen them growing in very dry conditions in the Dordogne, so thought it should be ok.  I will give it a good drink when it's cooler this evening.  Yes Obelixx, it was only planted last June, so perhaps it needs a bit of tlc.  Should i feed it, and if so, with what?

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

They do seem to take a year or two to get established.  My best ones (pink) are against an east facing fence which remains dampish so they get early sun but avoid the baking hot sun.  I also have a white one on a west facing fence which just about survives each year, but I have noticed it has crept under the fence and is doing well in my next door neighbours garden and it is therefore facing east there like my pink one.  Give yours lots of drinks and maybe consider moving it in the late Autumn if it doesn't thrive.

• As if right on cue, this is what popped up on Facebook today.    

RHS - Royal Horticultural Society 1 hr · 

FledglingFriday??? Do you have a difficult place for planting? Dry shade isn't very inviting but there are plants that will survive and brighten up those dull and dingy corners. Use our Plant Finder to find some great ideas:http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-Form Do you have a favourite shade dweller?
    This is Anemone x hybrida ‘Honorine Jobert’http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/95098/Anemone-x-hybrida-Honorine-Jobert/Details

And underneath was a lovely photo of how I hope my anemone will look later this summer  image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I find they're happiest in a bit of shade, but up here in the (usually) wet clay soil they will grow well in sun too. Lots of plants which we think of as shade lovers will take a fair bit of sun if their feet don't dry out too much.  I have some young anemones ( 'Whirlwind' - a white semi double )   put in last summer  which are also looking a bit dreary hct, but it's been unusually dry and warm this year so I'm putting it down to that and trying to keep them well watered till they're well established. 

Perhaps we can compare pix in autumn to see how they've done! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Good idea Fairygirl!

• Same problem with white anemone and think the conifer hedge is part of the problem.

Have potted it up and at last it is looking healthier and buds are coming out.

Leaves were being eaten ? slugs/? beetle but plant was slow to develop.

Only planted last summer.