London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
4 messages
23/04/2014 at 08:56

I'd like to take some cuttings of my hellebores to give to my dad for his garden, but don't know how to go about it, and when should I do it? I'd be grateful for any help. Many thanks 

23/04/2014 at 10:18

Hellebores make new roots from late September onwards, so that is considered the best time to dig up and split plants. Even then they are not always happy about it. Do not let the roots dry out whilst doing it. I tend to put them in a bucket of water until I re-pot them.

They do not come from cuttings in the true sense.

Seed is a good option, if you do not mind a mixed bag and can wait a few years for them to flower.

23/04/2014 at 11:34

Cleo, take a look around your hellebores.  You are sure to see self sown seedlings.  Dig these up with nice little rootball and pot up. I try to use John innes but any compost will do.  Takes a couple of years ...maybe 3 ...to flower.  

I divide hellebores at any time but think spring is best after flowering. Try not to take small pieces and pot up in pots of a size to take the new plant.  Often you will need a large pot according to how big a clump you have.  

23/04/2014 at 14:35

Thank you both for your help,  much appreciated 

email image
4 messages