Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

Hi there

Could someone recommend a 'fast' growing Yew (one that will get close to 12" a year), if it is a native that would be great but happy with hybrid (Taxus x).

I'l looking to harvest wood (coppicing) rather than hedge building so would prefer column growing rather than spreading.

Many thanks

My Taxus baccata makes 12" of extension growth all round per year but, at 20 years from seed, it's a long way from having anything to harvest. What use were you thinking of for the harvested wood?

Most yew will grow at 12 inches a year but you will be hard pressed to coppice it and get any worth while pieces of wood to work with. I dont think it is really an ideal tree for coppicing.

Silver surfer

Agree... it will not be in your life time that you will be able to harvest any useable timber.

The greenery can be hard pruned.

Chris, what do you need the wood for?

Taxus, it's said is slow growing, but for me is pretty quick.
But, whenever I prune my upright ones they are slow to initiate growth. I doubt if it's suitable to coppice.
I grow a few mound formers and they're pruned to maintain shape and size. These do respond quickly
Most of mine are yellow but just the same...not really coppicing material. Don't think any Taxus is.
Woodgreen wonderboy

Ordinary bog-standard yew grows quite quickly. Irish yew, fastigiata is slower I have heard. Best to check your books first before buying.

Preparation is important as ever..dig a trench and add something in the way of feed/compost etc. Make sure you allow lots of room...more than you think you need and remember you need to be able to cut it from both sides.

Yew is a great choice.

Silver surfer

Woodgreen wonderboy, I  said Taxus baccata fastigiate was the upright growing Yew that chris was asking for.

Yes Yew is a great choice....BUT would you recommend it for regularly harvesting the timber?

If I read this correctly chris is not looking for harvesting the green branches .. he seems to be after the timber.

My argument is that timber is very very slow to bulk up.

Silver surfer, yew will not coppice like eucalyptus, for example. It will regrow etc and grow at good rate but that's all