London (change)
Thu 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
19/02/2012 at 16:42

Hello,

I hope someone can help!

At the moment we have got ivy growing on a fance but we want to get rid of it as it . is self-clinging and always wants to climb up our house wall.

So we're looking for a climber that is evergreen and is preferably a twiner. The fence is sunny/half shade and the soil loose sandy but nutricious soil.

So, does anyone have advice on what kind of climber we could get?

Thanks!

21/02/2012 at 21:07

A few of ideas for you, there is a evergreen Honeysuckle also an evergreen jasmine, You will  need some trellis on your fence for support for these plants. A plant I have not grown before but gives year round interest is Hydrangea ( Seemanii) an evergreen with white flowers in summer.

24/02/2012 at 16:41

Possibly passionflower if your climate is fairly agreeable. Also Trachelospermum jasminoides, these seem to be quite commonly available in garden centres.

Ron
25/02/2012 at 09:08

Trachelospermum jasminoides

25/02/2012 at 11:03

Clematis armandii for sure, vigorous, lovely white flowers in the New Year and needs very little attention; just make sure you shade the roots from sun, prune after flowering and a little clematis food at appropriate times...lovely.

Ron
26/02/2012 at 07:55

I agree that 'Armandii' would be great but as you say it is vigorous. I wonder why the Council cut the hedge and if the 'Armandii' would also cause a problem, maybe it would overhang a pathway.

28/02/2012 at 21:16

How about some Winter Jasmine it has the benfit of flowering in mid winter through to march with bright yellow flowers. Early food for insects and  looks really bright and cheerful on those cloudy days near the house. It evergreen and easily pruned to keep in shape, and creates a good support for annual summer climbers.

28/02/2012 at 21:31

Clematis cirrhosa 'Freckles' - this has quite delicate ferny foliage that looks good all year round and has great little bell shaped flowers during winter.
Like others have mentioned Trachelospermum jasminoides as long as the position is fairly sheltered, this would also be great if it somewhere you are going to smell the amazing fragrance when its in flower.  Or go crazy and have both intertwined then you've got flowers in summer and in winter!
Another one is Akebia quinata but this can be abit of a thug once its established and its only really semi evergreen. Good luck.
www.alisonpike.com/blog/

29/02/2012 at 18:04

Thank you all for your suggestions - the winter jasmine with a summer flowering climber sounds like a good combination!

My wife also found Akebia quinata (Chocolate Vine) - I'm only cautious as it can grow up to 10m and our fence is only 2m high! But perhaps we can wrap it up and down a few times.

01/03/2012 at 20:41

Akebia quinata

03/03/2012 at 16:38

weve just had to remove winter jasmine/clematis 4 different varieties as it grew too vigorous and our new customer had to have a new fence panel put in because her exgardener didnt train it properly.

05/03/2012 at 14:34

Berberidopsis Corollina...Coral plant ...evergren climber...

Lyn
10/03/2012 at 19:19

I have just bought a Pyracantha, it will eventually grow to 4mts (so the bag says!) but it is evergreen, has flowers in the summer and red berries in the Autumn that the birds love. They grow in any type of soil.

11/03/2012 at 00:35

We got a honeysuckle to replace a clematis (that was, frankly, just too much hassle & not a great performer). It's been great, just clipped back a few unruly arms & that's it. One of the best bees & butterflies plants we have. Great scent. The base (I mulch that in compost each spring) is in shade then the rest is in sun.

26/01/2013 at 11:54

Climbing hydrageas are great but can take 9 years to flower also need a lot of pruning to keep them under control

26/01/2013 at 12:14
I have honeysuckle henrii (spelling?) on our pergola it is very vigorous and intertwining , only been in a couple of years , we have heavy clay soil. Covered in snow , will see if van find a pic of it and post later.
26/01/2013 at 12:27

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17935.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

the henrii is on right and going over the top to meet other honeysuckle.

26/01/2013 at 13:06

Cor That's a lovely looking garden Bunny

26/01/2013 at 13:26
I have honeysuckle henrii (spelling?) on our pergola it is very vigorous and intertwining , only been in a couple of years , we have heavy clay soil. Covered in snow , will see if van find a pic of it and post later.
26/01/2013 at 13:28
Thanks rosa I'd like to get it back to that and better his yr, we have changed it slightly ...stepping stone flag path through middle now . It's good to look back at pics.
1 to 20 of 21 messages