Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Minimum planter size for black bamboo

KatieCKatieC Posts: 1

Hello, 

I've just bought some large, contemporary trough planters in which to plant phyllostachys nigra (black bamboo). They measure 98cm(L) x 33cm(D) x 33cm(W) (3 ft x 1ft x 1ft) and have straight sides.

However, I'm a little concerned that they will be too small for the bamboo - I have the opportunity to cancel the order if necessary.

Any advice would be appreciated! Many thanks.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

I love trough planters so I would say give it a go and see how you get on... like everything else in pots we know we're going to have to deal with them in future years...

I have a similar sized one, perhaps a little wider across, about 3 foot long by 1 foot depth by 16 ins width... with a Camellia, tulips and muscari.  The Camellia is bigger now and dominates and I might need to change the tulips... I'm not going to get as many this season..

..for Spring..

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Think my Black Bamboo is in a similar planter. As long as it is in full sun, out of wind, and you keep it well watered and fed, it will be fine!

• jatnikapyarjatnikapyar Posts: 419

I have a couple(two years now) in planters the size of Salinos' and they have done well and look good. But the growth was vigorous and I think they will have to be moved to bigger pots.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Have to agree with Verdun. The bigger the better as it also sets the plant off properly. Smaller containers will tend to make things a bit unbalanced. Personal preference though Katie! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I got sick of mine spreading so bought a black bin drilled holes in the bottom, added some stones in the bottom for drainage and then sunk it into the ground. Bamboo is doing great. they do need plenty of water as they grown in tropical type climates. also they get quite tall so make sure your pot is heavy enough not to tip over in wind.