London (change)
Today 9°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
8 messages
21/08/2012 at 11:29
Been wanting to grow Monardas for some time now but scared off by their apparent susceptibility to mildew and their capacity to run. Anybody recommend good varieties? And heleniums? I believe they can "run" too???
21/08/2012 at 12:07

Monarda's are not the most attractive of plants. I have 'Mohawk' which is a strong grower with the cutest of scruffy looking flower heads, it comes back year after year, I love it!!  Heleniums are just a great all rounder, all of them attractive and long flowering, no garden should be without them.

21/08/2012 at 17:31

I also love my monardas. I have 'Beauty of Cobham' which is a lovely pink. Not had a problem with mildew - yet - and it doesn't run all over the place

21/08/2012 at 22:09

If you click on this link and scroll down you'll discover some mildew resistent varieties http://www.specialperennials.com/Other_Perennials/Plant_List_Monarda.htm

21/08/2012 at 22:19

I lost one Monarda last year to mildew (but I'm fairly sure it had it when I put it in, just not noticably) this year another one went in the bin, but I put that down to the exceptionally wet weather we've had.

One type has romped away (Jacob Cline on Dove's link) and seemed to love the wet weather.

22/08/2012 at 18:52

thanks dovefromabove, that looks a good site.  prob try a couple and see.....

22/08/2012 at 21:22

A true beauty is CAMBRIDGE SCARLET, Try growing this alongside Campanula lactiflora. Both flower at the same time, and are the same height. Stunning!

22/08/2012 at 23:31
Cowslip2 I have taken to blue n red this year, not deliberate colour scheme just odd companion planting and that sounds good. Like blue m orange together too, salvia patens and orange echinacea, tiki torch
email image
8 messages