Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

Been wanting to grow Monardas for some time now but scared off by their apparent susceptibility to mildew and their capacity to run. Anybody recommend good varieties? And heleniums? I believe they can "run" too???

Monarda's are not the most attractive of plants. I have 'Mohawk' which is a strong grower with the cutest of scruffy looking flower heads, it comes back year after year, I love it!!  Heleniums are just a great all rounder, all of them attractive and long flowering, no garden should be without them.

I also love my monardas. I have 'Beauty of Cobham' which is a lovely pink. Not had a problem with mildew - yet - and it doesn't run all over the place

I lost one Monarda last year to mildew (but I'm fairly sure it had it when I put it in, just not noticably) this year another one went in the bin, but I put that down to the exceptionally wet weather we've had.

One type has romped away (Jacob Cline on Dove's link) and seemed to love the wet weather.

thanks dovefromabove, that looks a good site.  prob try a couple and see.....

A true beauty is CAMBRIDGE SCARLET, Try growing this alongside Campanula lactiflora. Both flower at the same time, and are the same height. Stunning!

Cowslip2 I have taken to blue n red this year, not deliberate colour scheme just odd companion planting and that sounds good. Like blue m orange together too, salvia patens and orange echinacea, tiki torch