Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Mystery Plant

Hi

New member here- hoping you can help!

Does anyone know what this plant is and how best to prune it? It had small white flowers and then small red berries. The leaves are turning white, then red, and dropping off from the top down - I presume this is due to deciduousness rather than illness? The photo is from a while ago, i can take another/better one if it would help.

Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi bookmonster, another pic might help, a bit closer in for detail, can't quite see enough. Are some of the leaves variegated or is that an effect of the light? 

Can't think of anything that goes white then red before dropping it's leaves but it may be another of those strange weather effects. I've had some very pale leaves on several shrubs.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I clicked on it twice to magnify it. I'm sure I know it but I'm having a senior moment and it's name escapes me. Isn't it evergreen? If it were deciduous I would have thought it would have lost it's leaves by now. Evergreens still lose leaves and grow new ones but bit by bit and not all at once. I hope it's not waterlogged after all the rain.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

Can't be a current pic Busy-Lizzie, I spy a catalpa in full leaf in the background. It does have the look of an evergreen though. I wondered about Stransvesia davidiana, evergreen but some of the leaves do turn red in autumn then fall off. 

• Thanks for your responses- I've taken some more pictures.  The leaves have been changing colour/dropping off for a few months. It is probably evergreen, I just hope it isn't unwell!  We have heavy clay soil, but there doesn't seem to be any waterlogging.

• you may have hit the nail on the head with Stransvesia davidiana, Nutcutlet! From a google image search that may be it.

It was indeed a catalpa in the background, sadly our garden is far too small for such an impressive tree and it had to go. we're planning on some more appropriately sized cordon apple trees

• Looks like Photina red robin to me, although they don't usually lose their leaves.  It may have a nutrient deficiency.  I have two standard ones in my garden but they have never had any berries before.

Stransvesia is Photinia now. I forgot that.

I think this is Photinia davidiana 'Pallete'. 

• That looks like the best match  yet - thanks!  Is it right that it would be best to leave pruning it until the spring?

I should think so but I've never grown it so don't take that as a fact.