Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Name that geranium!

TinglyTingly Posts: 140

i have another geranium for id! I want to purchase some more but cant for the life of me remember what its called.

It doesnt spread like macrorhizzum and it grows in heavy shade to about a foot and a bit highimage

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

It looks like one I got at a local church fete. Well behaved in dry shade under trees, but moved some to a place in a shady welll fed border and it showed its true colours. Grew to welll over 2ft and spread to more than a metre and swamped  everything around. Now banished back to a spot on the woodland floorimage

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

Looks very much like one I have. Has self seeded itself all over, even in the paving cracks.

Very easy to divide for more plants, just dig it up and split in half in the autumn.

• Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295
    Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Hmm the ones you've all described is one I have and its gone mad ! I do have Wargrave pink and it is nothing like this other thug.  Still the thug has no name.  My flowers are pink with dark pink veins if that is the same as the others and it has grown through my philadephus to about 2ft tall.  Out the front under trees and its about 30cm tall.

I've found my wargrave pink is more of an orangy/ salmon pink,  Not a favourite and typically I bought it online without seeing the colour of it and bought loads of it.  It is just the wrong colour pink for my garden, its going to have to go. :-(

Your picture doesn't look like wargrave pink i don't think.

• lilysillylilysilly Posts: 511

Looks a lot like my Mavis Simpson.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

an oxonianum hybrid, one of many, would be my guessimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Tingly - you're welcome to come and dig up any bits you want from my garden! image

I have the same one - or a similar one- which I inherited here. I keep pulling it out, or banishing it to the bits in the darkest depths of the shed area. It survives any kind of hardship you can offer.

I now mainly replant it in the bin....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I keep throwing out lumps of that big pink one and its descendants. It's pretty but flops far too much for its flowerworthiness. (is that a word or did I just invent it?) 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Absolutely correct technical term nut...image

My problem is that I hate that colour of wishy washy, birthday cake pink... image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

I have it too...

Have always assumed it was a form of g. endressii or g. pratense - maybe a cross of the two.

It certainly seeds around and is quite floppy once it gets above 2' high. I find it has limited use in the garden - it is too tooth achingly candy-shrimp in colour.

It had been allowed to go mad in this garden when we moved in. Most of it ended up in the bin but I have allowed a couple of bits to stay where not much else grows. Looks quite nice growing up through a mahonia (which also supports it).

Try not to let it go to seed though... 

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down